1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Non-wireless printer to a router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by e-dog, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e-dog

e-dog Thread Starter

Have a non-wireless printer (HP F4280) and non-wireless Desktop (Dell Dimension 2000). Just added an HP G62 wireless laptop and Cisco Valet+ router. My problem is I want to make the printer wireless but their is only one USB port and no ethernet port. If I put an adaptor into the USB port on the printer to make it wireless, I will of course loose access from my dektop. Can I put a splitter into the printers USB port and use an wireless adaptor plus the cable to the desktop?? Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated. I apologize if this has been answered but I couldn't figure out how to phrase the question for the search function.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If you just need to connect to the printer wirelessly from
    the laptop,you should be able to leave it setup and connected
    to the desktop and just set it up as a network printer on the laptop.
    It will connect through the router.
    The router should be connected to the desktop.

If you want to connect to the printer through wireless on both,
    you would want a wireless print sever connected to the printer
    and the printer would setup as a network printer on both computers.

3. e-dog

e-dog Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. The printer now appears on the laptop however when you try to print from the laptop it turns the print spooler off. I can restart the spooler by going to services.msc and clicking start but the same thing will happen again. Accessing from the desktop is fine,. Any suggestions??

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

When you added it as a network printer,were you prompted
    to install a driver?
    Might also go to start/control panel/network and sharing center
    and see if file and printer sharing is on and check other sharine settings.
    Might also be some firewall or security settings that could be trying
    to block access to the spooler.
    The laptop should actually be making a network call to the spooler
    on the desktop,so the spooler on the laptop is bypassed.
    Is it still printing anyway?

5. e-dog

e-dog Thread Starter

More adds. If I restart the print spooler from the desktop, my DataCad program won't run. I get "WDC caused a General Protection Fault in module DCW.EXE at 0033:1008". Re-booting fixes it, trying the printer again from the laptop kills it. Laptop says print spooler is running.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you connect the printer to your network, it will be available to all computers on the network regardless of the type of network connection you use. A printer connected to a wireless print server can certainly be used by a computer connected to the network by wire.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice