1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Notebook to LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steelo83, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steelo83

steelo83 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently had satellite broadband connected to my desktop pc but would also like to connect it to my notebook. I do not need them to both be connected at the same time, I just want to be able to connect my notebook pc to the internet when required.

My notebook has a Xircom ethernet card and dongle, which fits the network cable on the satellite terminal. So far I have been able to connect to the LAN on my notebook but not access the internet. I was still getting my old dial-up connection prompt so I removed this connection. The only network connection I now have is that for the LAN.

I'm only a novice when it comes to these type of things so I'm a bit stumped now. Do I need to configure my settings to enable broadband access (i.e. enter IP address etc.)? If so, how do I go about this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With cable or DSL when the computer connected to the modem is changed almost always the modem has to be power cycled (unplug the modem for maybe 30 seconds). Is the satellite terminal something that can be power cycled similar to a cable or DSL modem?

Unless you were assigned a static IP by your ISP you should have to do nothing to your laptop.

3. steelo83

steelo83 Thread Starter

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'Power Cycle'. The notebook has an internal modem so I can't really unplug it (can I?). As for the satellite terminal, it's an ipstar broadband satellite (IPX-5100) - that's about all I know unfortunately.

I'm able to connect my notebook to the satellite terminal without a problem and it confirms that the LAN is connected, I just can't get the internet to operate. Am I correct in thinking I need to configure my settings in order to access the internet. I have added the LAN as a network connection and set it as the default but can't get any further.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, you're saying that the IPX-5100 is not electrically powered? Does it have any kind of on/off switch? Battery powered?

For what I mean by power cycle please see my parenthetical expression immediately after the phrase in my earlier post. I know the IPX-5100 is not called a "modem" but it seems to perform the same function as a DSL or cable modem. That's why I suggested to try a power cycle.

Maybe it would help if you posted an ipconfig /all for both computers, but I really expect that to show that your laptop is getting an APIPA (169.254.x.y) because the ISP hasn't recognized that a different computer is connected, or maybe you have a firewall blocking all access.

5. steelo83

steelo83 Thread Starter

Yes the IPX-500 is electronically powered and can be switched off at the rear of the unit.

Again, I'm not too sure about the ipconfig. I thought there may have been a driver that I could download for the terminal but I couldn't find it on the ipstar website.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... and can be switched off at the rear of the unit."

So try switching it off, then connect your notebook, and then switch the unit back on.

There are no drivers for the terminal. Surely it is performing the same function as a DSL or cable modem; in this case "translating" between satellite signals and ethernet (or USB 1.1) signals.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice