1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting O2 wireless box II to the internet thorugh an ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stjohnsboy, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stjohnsboy

stjohnsboy Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have an O2 wireless box II (Thomson Speedtouch TG585 v7) and I would like to connect it to the internet through an ethernet cable rather than a DSL line, is this possible?

I actually had it working last night by simply plugging it in, but this morning when I woke up it wasnt working at all! Somehow I could only connect to the wireless box but not to the internet!!!

Operating system - Windows Vista

If someone could help me I would be really grateful! Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we have more information on how you are all set up
    the internet is supplied via the telephone line DSL (probably ADSL) so not sure what you mean by ethernet cable
    in the meantime I'll see if i can look up that speedtouch

3. stjohnsboy

Hi,

Sorry I am not really a technical guy but i will try my best to describe my situation!

I think the line that goes into the telephone socket (to get my internet connected) is a LAN cable, so I dont have a cable that connects me to the DSL line at the back of the modem. In short, my internet is supplied via an ethernet cable/LAN cable.

Any more information needed?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK - a standard ADSL connection in UK (I have not played with O2 yet - but it will be the same as all the others) There should have been supplied with the box - 2 filters, these are used on the telephone sockets - so you plug one into the telephone socket - then you have a telephone type connection cable that connects from the filter into the back of the modem/router
    (that speedtouch is a modem and router combined ) the telephone connection is marked DSL - at least that is what I see on the online setup manual here http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161

you then use a LAN cable to connect the PC to one of the four LAN connections on the back of the router marked ethernet 1,2,3,4

you then setup the router and if you set up wireless, you can disconnect the cable and use on wireless, without any PCs connected to the router by cable if you want

so why dont you have the cable for the telephone - router ?

5. stjohnsboy

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I actually bought this wireless box over the internet and am currently residing outside the UK, and the filters etc are not useable in this country.... does it mean this wireless box is useless now...?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    NO, not useless

you usually have a filter of some description between the telephone and the modem - BUT it will work without the filter as a test , you will get interference on the line or other issues - see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

Do you have a DSL supplied service - if so who from (ISP) and what did they supply ?
    a little more info - what country are you in ?
    who supplies the broadband into the home ?

7. stjohnsboy

I have attached a photo of my telephone socket, and I am currently in Hong Kong

Attached Files:

8. stjohnsboy

P.S. I dont think thats a DSL supplied service...? Its Hong Kong Broadband that supplies internet into my home.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  10. stjohnsboy

Yea its listed there - Hong Kong Broadband Network Limited

I might have confused you here... If I connect the internet cable to the ethernet cable at the back of my modem, and then connect the modem to my laptop using another ethernet/LAN cable, I could go on the internet... but what I really want is to be able to use the internet wirelessly. Is this clearer?

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK much clearer - whats the make and model of the modem

12. stjohnsboy

Sorry!

Do you mean the router? If you are then its O2 wireless box II (Thomson Speedtouch TG585 v7)

I don't need a modem to go on the internet, just the cable will do

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK this was the modem comment I was confused by

so if you connect you PC ethernet directly to the wall socket does it work and use the internet?
    if not - what did you use before you purchased the O2 router to get onto the internet

14. stjohnsboy

Yes it works if I connect my PC directly to the wall socket!

And If I connect the wall socket to the router, then from the router to my PC it works as well, its just that when I connect the wall socket to the router and attempt to connect my PC to the router wirelessly it doesn't work.

Thanks!

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try this reset, assuming the wall socket is the "modem" connection. Obviously, you can't power down the modem, but I'd connect the computer directly to the wall, do an IPCONFIG /RELEASE, then plug in the router into the socket and perform the following reset.

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
    • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Disconnect any USB connection to the modem, it will not be used.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice