1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting optical and hard drive to mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pw29010, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pw29010

pw29010 Thread Starter

i've got a GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H mobo i've got all the power connected and that works fine however there only one socket for the optical and hard drive i know ones got to be master and the other slave but how do i do this? i know i've got to do something with the jumpers but how do i do this i'm completley loss on this bit
    thanx

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There should be a legend on each drive on how to set each of the drives to the Master and Slave position. Just move the jumper according to the diagram on the drives. Set the hard drive to Master and the optical drive to Slave. But this ONLY applies to PATA IDE drives not newer SATA drives. You do not need to set Master and Slave settigns for SATA drives as they do not exist.

3. pw29010

pw29010 Thread Starter

have tbh what do u mean by legend do i have to connect one cable to the other cable and then plug into the mobo
    thanx

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, if both the drives have this interface: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ATA_on_mainboard.jpg and the motherboard only have one of those connectors then you use one cable to connect them to the motherboard.

If you look at each of the drives you have they usually have a diagram for how to set the jumper to either Master(MS), Slave(SL), or Cable Select(CS) printed or marked on them. Or you can refer to the documentation that came with them or thats available on the manufacturer's website.

Photo: http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_SettingHardDriveJumpers.htm

5. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

just so that you're not lost,
    the sticker on the hard drive has a diagram of the long 40 pin and molex connection, it shows you combinations you could have, just look at the diagram, make sure you're looking at it the right way round and adjust the jumper

btw a legend is a key, tellling you what is what on a diagram...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice