Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connecting PC to TV

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  johnpetersen 
#1 ·
Hi guys - what cables are required to connect a PC to a LCD TV? I want to use my TV as a secondary monitor. I only have 1 VGA port on my PC which is already taken by my PC monitor. The only possibles seem to be a serial port (RS232), S-Video TV out or SPDIF (in and out)?

My TV has RGB (in) and HDMI/DVI ports

Can I do straight port to port connections using the above or do I need adaptors?

Cheers

#2 ·
S video from comp to tv if the tv has a s video port,vga to dvi will work but you will have to disconnect from computer monitor.
I have a long dvi cable snaking across my floor from tv to monitor & when i want to put comp on tv screen i just unhook from monitor & plug in to tv.

#3 ·
I mainly want to use my TV for watching movies, not to use as a PC monitor as such, but it would be great to be able to do stuff on my PC while the movie played on my TV, so I'm really looking to have both on at once rather than one or the other

If my above connections are not able to do that and I have to do as you suggest and share the VGA port, do you go through the 'hardware wizard found new hardware' procedure each time you switch them over? I assume you have to have both PC and TV turned off when you switch or can you do it whilst having them turned on?

Cheers

#4 ·
what you need is a video card installed in the pc that has 2 dvi out puts one dvi2hdmi converter cable so the pc can connect through the tv hdmi input that has separate sound inputs most LCD tv's has these inputs.

your other output from the pc ..if the monitor has only vga socket then a adaptor socket converter is required then there is no switching necessary other than selecting the input you require with the tv controller.

and the best quality video card your pc can handle.for excellent quality of movie viewing.

#5 ·
Johnebadbak is absolutely correct,,but what i did to save money & not buy another video card was just disconnect the vga monitor cable from monitor,with comp turned off & plugged it in my tv,with it turned off,
I'm back using the comp monitor because i don't have a wireless keyboard & mouse & it was a hassle with keyboard on my chest when using tv as monitor.
I could definitely use a new vid card with the double ports,but alas i have other priorities at the moment,new hdd,more ram.

#7 ·
The easiest way to connect your computer to a TV is to use an appropriate video cable. To figure out what video cable you need, take a look at the video outputs on your computer. Common video output ports are VGA ports, DVI ports, composite video ports, and S-Video ports.Once you know what video outputs your computer has, determine the video inputs on your TV. If your computer has a VGA or DVI port to match your computer, connect your computer to the TV using those ports and an appropriate cable. It's as easy as connecting a computer to a monitor, and it ensures you get the best picture quality.
If your computer and TV don't have matching VGA or DVI ports, look to see if you can connect the composite video or S-Video output on your computer to a corresponding input on the TV. You'll need an S-Video cable or composite video cable to connect matching ports. If needed, you can buy a cable to connect an S-Video output on your computer to a composite video input on your TV, or vice versa.
-----------------------
johnpetersen
Advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.