1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting PDA to RJ45 plug

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by patty49, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patty49

patty49 Thread Starter

Hi, I am new here but have a question if someone has an answer that would be much appreciated.
    I am not very computer savvy but I will try and explain my question as best I can.
    I will be going on vacation to the South Pacific on a tiny island and it's very expesnsive to call home. So i had an idea to get a Palm pilot to email my family who will be with our special needs daughter while we are gone, but when I checked into a connection they only have an RJ 45 plug for laptops and it is my understanding that the RJ 45 plug is to big for the palm pilots, is there such thing as an adapter or something that I can get to connect the palm pilot to that plug. Laptop to expensive for the time I need it. Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the rambling.
    Patty49

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Palm sells modems for most of their line . . it will be an external . . I have one for a Palm III that works fine in a pinch. There are also third-party modems

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you want to use a dial-up modem and an ISP? Or does the place you're going to offer free broadband which connects to devices using RJ45 (ethernet) connections? simpswr provided a link to dial-up modems. This has nothing to do with an RJ45 connection.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

DoubleHelix is right . . everything I said assumed you wanted to connect to a POTS . .

I use a tiny travel router that lets me connect to a cat5 network cable (RJ45) and set up a wireless network that I use to connect the laptop and the bride uses to connect her Palm . . might not make sense for a "one off" use, but if you have another use for it it might fill your bill.

5. patty49

patty49 Thread Starter

Thank SIMPSWR & Doublehelix,
    I just wanted to say thanks for your time to respond to my question it was very helpful, I went on the website and found a place near me that sells the routers rather than ordering them. You guys are great!
    Patty49

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You also have to have a wired ethernet adapter for the PDA.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/352250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice