1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting printer to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by **geezer**, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. **geezer**

**geezer** Thread Starter

Hi. I want to connect a new printer to my wireless network but without wires. Can I do this? If so, what do I need. If not, is the only way using an ethernet cable? Look forward to your help. Thanks. **geezer** :eek:

2. Cwolly

Cwolly

It all depends on the printer. What did you get?

3. **geezer**

I am planning to buy an HP deskjet 5150. The question is can I attach something to the printer to "talk" wirelessly to my Modem/Router/Access Point, or do I need a print server attached to the printer and a hard wire to the Modem. Thanks.

4. Cwolly

Cwolly

The easiest way to share that printer on the network is to hook it up to one of your computers via the usb port and "share" the printer just like you would share a folder over the network. Just keep in mind that the computer you have hooked the printer to will need to be on if you are going to share it.
    -Cwolly

5. 10forcash

10forcash

There are a couple of options, either use a wireless router such as a SMC 7004 ABR, that has a parallel port incorporated, or a Linksys wireless print server WPS11, Microwarehouse lists them for £90 ish
    although you would need to check that the proposed printer has a parallel port not just a USB port, I have seen others that will work with USB only but I can't remember which......
    Cheers,
    10forcash

6. **geezer**

Thanks Cwolly and 10forcash. My problem is that the HP deskjet 5150 doesn't have a parallel port, just USB. So, unless I can find a USB print server that doesn't cost the earth, I'll have to go for the HP deskjet 5850, which has built in wi-fi (but costs £100+ more than the 5150). So, if anyone can tell me the name of a USB print server I'd appreciate it. Cheers. (By the way, I've only just discovered this forum - it's fantastic!!)

7. 10forcash

10forcash

Geezer,
    (Guessed you were one of the master race from the 'handle')
    go for the 5850, you'll spend more time and dosh looking for a USB print server
    cheers,
    10forcash

8. calique

calique

I want to replace my old parallel (centronix) printer with a new one. The printers I am evaluating all come with USB ports. Is there any Male DB25 to USB converters available? Or the only option is to buy another print server (my router is also a print server)?

9. jgjulio

jgjulio

I have installed the following printer adapter from my laptop to a Canon i80 printer in another room and it works great. The best thing is that you first setup the printer with a USB cable on your computer then you subsititue the adapter for the cable and everything works.

AmbiCom WPKIT Wireless Printer Adapter

I got it from Amazon.com
    Julio

10. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

All you need is a wireless print server. Linksys sells them for about $100 I think. Go look at Circuit City or CompUSA

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice