1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting printer to wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BrianP, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianP

BrianP Thread Starter

I have a wireless router with a desktop connected to it and also use a laptop. Right now, my printer is connected directly to the desktop. Is it possible to connect the printer so I can print from either the laptop or desktop? If so, how? thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Yes, go to the printer control panel on the computer to which the printer is attached, and right click on it, and choose sharing, and share it.

Are you currently sharing files between the two computers? If not, you will have to go into the firewall advanced settings and enable file/print sharing there as well.

3. BrianP

BrianP Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to connect the printer to a port on the wireless router?

4. kben1028

kben1028

Nope, the printer can stay connected "as is" to your desktop.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If your printer is "network ready" (i.e., has an ethernet connection) you can connect it to a router's port. You will need to use your installation CD and choose the "network" option.

Otherwise, you use the printer sharing mentioned by the previous posters.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Remember if you "share" the printer you have to have the desktop on 24/7 if you turn it into a network printer than anyone can print to it at any time.

Depending on the make model printer it may already have a print port OR again depending on the make model of the printer you may be able to buy a jetdirect or other brand printserver to turn it into a network printer.

7. axis77

axis77

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

A word of caution, I believe that some of those will not work with some printers.......

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466740