1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by erickme27, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erickme27

erickme27 Thread Starter

I have connection to the internet and is working fine but I cant' connect to any of my online games, yahoo & hotmail messengers.:(

Any ideas/advice on how to fix this?

Thank you:)

2. warrior19

warrior19

Try reboot into Safe mode with Networking. Does that work with messengers/games? Press F8 when PC is powering up to get to Safe Mode menu.

Suggesting it might be firewall ports related. If you are running Norton, Kapersky, Zone Alarm or Comodo Firewall's as well as Windows Firewall try disabling them temporarily to see if that allows the applications to connect. For example Yahoo Messenger uses TCP Port number 5050. If that is being blocked by the firewall or on your router you would need to allow it.

Try Safe Mode with Networking as first test.

For games are you running Punkbuster? If so have you updated it to reflect the games loaded as PunkBuster causes issues for my kids PC re online game servers.

3. erickme27

erickme27 Thread Starter

I used to run Punkbuster but I deleted it already.
    I tried disabling my Windows firewall it didn't help,

Update on my Problem:

This morning I tried to connect to my games and was able to connect, then later on the day it won't let me connect again.
    I'm guessing it has something to do with my ports?

I also noticed when I tried to connect to my game for some reason my Network Access says "Local" or "Identifying".

Need help/advice Please.

Thank you

4. schang626

schang626

when did this happen?
    did this happen after you install an app?
    try to bypass the router, if you have one, and plug directly into the modem

5. erickme27

erickme27 Thread Starter

This started happening after I left it on for a day.

6. warrior19

warrior19

Safe mode with Networking make any difference?

7. warrior19

warrior19

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

Depending on your operating system you could attempt a system restore and pick a date in the last few weeks before the issue started. Only thing this will remove any newly installed applications but may just remove something that made its way onto your PC the day you left it turned on!!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice