1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting SATA hard drives to existing IDE PC...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Candyfloss, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candyfloss

Candyfloss Thread Starter

Hi,

We have a PC here with a fried motherboard and the replacement is going to take a few days to arrive. In the meantime, we desperately need to get the user’s data off the hard drives. (Sod’s law – the user hasn’t been backing up and the data is essential.)

This PC is the only one we have with SATA hard drives. I’ve bought a Q-Tec 350SA Serial ATA PCI Card. Apparently (in theory) if I fit this to another PC (with IDE) I can then plug the SATA drives in and backup the data on them. If I can do this, at least I can then set the user up on a spare PC until his new mobo arrives.

I’m just a bit nervous about actually doing this. I’ve never done anything more complicated than swapping hard drives or installing RAM and graphics cards and the like. I’ve hooked up laptop hard drives to desktops to remove data, but that was straightforward – plug ‘em in via an adaptor cable and they worked straight away.

The guy in the shop I bought the card from said that it should work fine, it shouldn’t damage the hard drive or any of the data on it… but he wasn’t 100% sure. He said it’ll work great for connecting a brand new SATA drive to another PC, but wasn’t completely sure about connecting an existing drive from another PC to remove the data. I’ve contacted Q-Tec via email but their standard response time is 48 hours, I can’t find a telephone number to call and ask them, and the user is desperate to get this data off a.s.a.p.

So, should this be a straightforward process? Can I be reasonably sure that if I hook everything up together, it won’t mess up the hard drives…? If anyone has any advice to offer, I’d be very grateful.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should be very easy. First install the sata card into the working system. Install the drivers and make sure the device is installed correctly in device manager. Next shutdown and connect the drive. Note you will need a power adapter for the drive since sata and ide use different power plugs. The one exception to this is a WD drive; it has both power plugs on the back of the drive. If it is one of these, DO NOT use both plugs. Just install one power plug.

Once the drive is installed and power is connected to it, restart the system. You should see the drive in explorer / my computer; copy whatever you want.

The only problem you might have is some bios [ami] like to reset the boot device. If you have a problem, enter the bios and make sure the system still is set to boot from the original ide drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice