1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Connecting Smart TV to existing PA System

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Allan Murray, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allan Murray

Allan Murray Thread Starter

In our public hall we use a PA system which consists of a three-part inter-connected stack: Radio microphone receiver, Acoustic loop amplifier, and Main amplifier. This has worked superbly for years. Now we want to play Video from USB flash memory stick plugged into a smart TV. Is it possible to feed the sound from the TV into the existing PA system using a direct cable instead of the radio microphone? Allan.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have an Audio out on the TV - often you will find Phono RGA plugs that you can use which take the audio from whatever is playing on the TV and feed into a sound system, home theatre system etc

make and exact model of the TV

3. Allan Murray

We have not purchased the TV as yet, because we are not sure of what to get. It has to be a 24inch because of storage restrictions, but we are talking about small groups.
    The one I have looked at on the net was a Samsung on the Argos website:
    Samsung UE24H4003AWXXU 24 Inch HD Ready TV
    We would be willing to pay considerably more for the right thing
    Allan

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. Allan Murray

Thank you again. I do not know what an optical audio out is, but it sounds like something quite modern. Our amplifier is very old, and is unlikely to have it.
    Allan

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i cannot down load the user manual for that TV to see if it has any Audio Line Phono outputs
    or if it ONLY has the optical out

you can get an Optical to analogue converter

What sort of inputs are available on the AMP
    Optical Audio has been around a while - how old is very old?

or it maybe possible to use the headphone output on the TV
    not sure how good that would be - often headphones switch off the TV speakers, but depends on the TV - some have a separate volume control.

I guess if someone has an older iphone or tablet with a headphone socket, you could try that on the AMP and see how it sounds

7. Allan Murray

I will be away for about ten days from tomorrow, and I will try and get more information, as I will have access to bigger shops; we are fairly remote here. If I get to see the TV we are looking at, how will I know if it has an analogue audio output as well as an optical?
    Perhaps the converter is the answer, but it does introduce an extra complication.
    Our amplifier has two phono RCA sockets, but it will be at least fifteen years old.
    I will see what I can find out

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    look for Audio OUT phono sockets on the back of the TV
    you want a TV that has audio out - all the time no matter what the connection

Audio OUT
    Left / Right usually White and Red Phono Sockets

make sure its Audio OUT RCA/Phono sockets and not one of the Video Sound inputs

you should be able to see the connections on the back of a TV
    https://www.lifewire.com/connect-tv-to-stereo-system-3135127

9. Allan Murray

Thank you for this. I have done a lot of searching, but it is clear that it is not possible to get a 24 inch TV with analogue output. I think that we have to start looking at an adapter. Do you agree?

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    According to the manual for the TV you referenced above, there is a headphone output for the sound. You could get a cable that adapts that connector to the RCA phone plugs required by the amp.

upload_2018-1-11_15-28-58.png

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

12. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    A 3.5mm to RCA cable would be a whole lot cheaper, if it works. And it should. Many people have one lying about that can be used to test with ...

13. Allan Murray

Thanks, I am going to try and attach a photograph of the ends of a very long cable that I have had for many years. Would this help, and would there not be problem of the main volume switching off when the jack is connected?

Attached Files:

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep, thats the cable
    take the adapter off the phonoplug end - that just converts stereo into a mono signal

as i mentioned in a previous post , you could use the headphone socket on the TV

it may work OK

headphones have a high impeadance input and Line in phonos dont - usually it works OK - although sometimes it can overload the input which results in a distorted or poor quality sound

As i also suggested earlier , try with someones Ipod, Ipad, Iphone or any audio device with a headphone jack
    see what you get on the PA system

15. Allan Murray

I have Samsung mp3 player which I can use to carry out this test. Unfortunately the PA system is not set up in the hall at present. I am just about to go away for about 10 days. I will get in touch with the test results when I get back.
    Thanks for everything. Perhaps we will get somewhere yet.
    Allan

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice