connecting text boxes in Publisher

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blindy8

I can connect one page to another but when I copy a page from a Word document to Publisher, what I'm getting is a series of mini-text boxes for each paragraph of the word document. I've tried to connect them through the normal means (of using that infinity icon with the cup icon) but when I highlight the text box I'm trying to connect, the icons remain grey. I am left with a bunch of text boxes on a page that don't connect and can't find a way of doing so.

I can't imagine that it is just a WORD peculiarity-- but I can't duplicate the problem with OpenOffice creating the text & copy/pasting the text into Publisher.

What I did was "Edit> Select All" then "Edit> Copy"---- and go to Publisher text frame and "Edit> Paste". It worked fine from an existing ".doc" file.

I am familiar with what you are speaking of- as it happens when copying something from a web-page. There I paste the document into Word-Pad to lose all the text box formatting and re-copy/paste it into WORD or Open Office (writer).

Hope this is helpful-- and if time is critical--- try downloading OpenOffice at:
http://www.openoffice.org/

Happy New Year to you,
letchworth

Blindy8

Personally, I hate Publisher. I have never had so many problems with a program before. You're right, It's probably not limited to copying over files from Word. What seems to be happening is that if the document I'm copying has a space after a paragraph, Publisher creates a separate text box around that paragraph that doesn't merge into the subsequent ones. I can't use the merge Icon either. So if I'm copying a file with creative formatting, I get a series of "mini-text boxes inside full-size page text box and they are like foreign elements on the page.

You're right, I would be forced to copy the whole page to another editor and reformat it there then send it back to Publisher which is a huge waste of time.

That's not all. When inserting a new page after one I'm working on, I have to go to the Object menu each time and manually create a text box which is another waste of time. The program offers an option to create a text box for a new page, but when I click on that option, I get USER.EXE errors and my computer freezes, so I'm forced to size new text boxes into each page I insert which is Stone Age technology.

If I add text that extends past the page I'm working on, I'm given the option to let Publisher insert a new page. When I do that Publisher keeps inserting pages ad infinitim and crashes my computer.

Every other program works fine and I have no other problems with my system, however, for me Publisher is a mine field.

You've got some very unusual problems with Publisher--- what version are you using? And what version of Windows?

The newest version I have is 2000-- (& I started with version 2- so I've used it a long time--- but some of the things you're describing I've never heard of). Your "crashes and burns" are particularly troublesome to me. You've got some problems.

Have you tried uninstalling Publisher and re-installing it? (after backing up data, of course).

I do know that some people really dislike Publisher (especially compared to much more expensive programs); but I'm able to get it to do just about everything I want it to do with very little problems. Lately I have tried Serif PagePlus- they have a free version (see Google: free Serif Page Plus) which is pretty much an older version they give away to attract new customers- hoping you'll update (I'm actually using their version 10 which I like very much).

A few weeks ago someone recommended "RagTime"- I haven't played with it enough to tell you much; but it looks pretty complete--- and it is free, also. (I think they charge for the dictionary).

When you speak of manually creating text boxes-- in a strange way you compliment the flexibility of the genre of the desktop publishers; you can pretty much put "whatever you want- wherever you want"--- and that means describing the space. But it shouldn't crash and it shouldn't go into endless loops. I can add new pages anytime I want- anywhere I want (& I know exactly what to expect).

There is a bit of a learning curve on a desktop publisher-- but it should not behave irradically.

Again- let us know the version of Windows & the version of M$Publisher- maybe that will help get to the bottom of the problems.

letchworth

Blindy8

Thanks for your feedback. I'm getting the feeling that I may have code errors and need to reinstall Publisher as you suggested because it makes no sense to have to copy paragraphs into Word then paste them back into Publisher simply to get these paragraphs to connect. As it stands, I have little independent islands that won't merge (using the connect icon only works if you are connecting text to a subsequent empty page) together if I copy text from Word or other programs that have line spaces between paragraphs. I also can't get Publisher to automatically add pages without it going into a loop, crashing my computer or leaving USER.EXE errors across the board for all applications.

My bigger concern is that maybe this is the way Publisher 2002 works.

I'm using Windows ME with 256 MB Ram on Publisher 2002. At this point, I would consider taking the book I'm writing along with the graphics and seeking out another program that is user friendly. This is frustrating.

blindy8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts