Connecting To A Server On Another Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AvantGardeCares

I have an office setup. We have a few different networks that encompass our printers, workstations, server, etc. There is a server that has software that many of the computers in the office can connect to through their network. This was all done some time ago. However, I have one computer in my back office that was salvaged, upgraded and whatnot recently to use and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why it cannot find and connect to that server.

The old computer that was there before needing to be replaced was plugged into the same ethernet port and had connection to the network and to that server so that's not the issue.

I had copied the IPv4 IP Address and altered the last 2 digits to make it unique, copied the IPv4 Subnet Mask, IPv4 Default Gateway, IPv4 DHCP Server and IPv4 DNS Servers from the working computers by going to the adapter settings and viewing the details from them. I went to the command prompt, typed in ipconfig and matched that information exactly too.

I noticed the other computers say "Network 2" above the "Work Network" icon in the Network and Sharing Center of all the working computers but it shows "Back Office" which I must have done myself at some point trying to get the settings to work. I figure that's important but can't figure out how to change that.

I did go into the advanced sharing and turned on discovery so that computer can be visible.

I feel like from all I've done, I should be in the "network" with the server and the other workstations but I'm just not. I'm at a loss. I've went to each workstation, duplicated everything I could find and just...nothing. The old computer was plugged into that very same port and had network access so I know it's possible. Is there something I have to do on the server for it to be noticeable? I feel like that wouldn't be the case because it's not in the correct "network".

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There's not enough information to hazard any kind of guess. We need IP addressing of the PC in question and also the target server. If the target server is on a different subnet, we need to know if there are any router hops in between or if one network device is providing the routing between subnets.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online