1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting to an Existing Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by AWilliams, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AWilliams

AWilliams Thread Starter

I was just given a used laptop that is a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP 2002 on it. I have a wireless router set up to my desktop and my roommate is able to use my connection on her laptop, but on my laptop -it doesn't even give me an option to view wirless connections. When I go to Network Connections it says that it is connected to a LAN or High-Speed Internet, yet I can't use the internet. The only thing I can find related to wireless connections is something that allows me to set up a whole new network, but not connect to an existing one. I'm completely inept when it comes to all of this. Can someone please help me out?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What Service Pack level?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. AWilliams

AWilliams Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. I tried doing what you said, but for some reason, they right click button isn't working & obviously highlighting everything or hitting "Control + A" isn't working. Any suggestions? All that came up after I typed that in was the same prompt that was there before.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you click on the tiny C:\ icon in the extreme upper left corner of the Command prompt window you can do Edit - Select All and then Enter or else Edit - Copy.

But, with no output it means no networking hardware is detected, which is one of the possible results for which I was looking.

In Device Manager what is listed under Network Adapters? Are there any warnings or errors or Other or Unknown devices anywhere in Device Manager?

5. AWilliams

AWilliams Thread Starter

I'm so sorry to be high-maintenance. I don't know where to find the Device Manager. I did a search & all that came up was something to do with my MSN messenger. I do appreciate your help!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

There are several ways to get to Device Manager. That's the first one I found by searching for Device Manager in the Help and Support Center--see attached. After you find out what hardware you have, and what drivers you need, I suggest that you do a disk check fixing all errors, format the disk, and install Windows fresh. That way you'll have a "new" operating system and routine things will work. :)

Attached Files:

• HnS.jpg
      HnS.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  7. AWilliams

AWilliams Thread Starter

I'm going to go home and try this tonight. Thanks for your advice & sorry for the delayed response. I'm actually now having a problem with my desktop & will probably start another post. I guess I'm having bad luck with computers. I hope this works & will let you know if I need more advice. Thanks again!

8. AWilliams

AWilliams Thread Starter

9. AWilliams

AWilliams Thread Starter

Inside my device manager I saw 1394 Net Adapter. Below that was the "other" devices, all yellow with an "!". Those were: ethernet controller, network controller, PCI modem and video controller (VGA compatible). What's next? I apologize for being so clueless! Thanks for your help!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You need to download from the PC manufacturer's web site the chipset and networking drivers for your model. Use a USB flash drive, CD, etc., to copy them to the hard drive of the crippled PC. Install the chipset first, then the networking. Then if there are still missing drivers in Device Manager make another visit to get the additional drivers.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!