Connecting to database on one server from another

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ajramsay

Alice
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I have a server that has all my databases which is hosted by a site for free. We get unlimited space. In another part of their site they have our search tools, but I don't have access to them (too long a story). The database indexing recently was broken and I don't know when it might be fixed.

So I'm thinking that I could write some search tools myself and put them on another server, but leave the databases where they are. I've never written in PHP or MySQL before, but I figure I can handle it. I used to program in C for a living and I recently taught myself Java.

My question is, is my plan feasible? Will I be able to find a free database server to accomplish this? Will it be able to access the databases? I only have FTP access to the server where the databases reside.

If this is feasible, any recommendations for a free database server?

In MYSQL ( free ) you can define users with an accompanying host name. So you can have user1 host1 user2host1 user3host2 user4host3 and each can be assigned different account passwords. Then to access the database from another host, you just need to open ports on the database server. (Don't know if this is doable with your hosting provider's setup)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online