1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Connecting to Internet and a second computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KONKA, Sep 28, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. KONKA

KONKA Thread Starter

I have a computer in my hobby shed that is connected to my modem/router, that is in the house, via an Ethernet cable as WiFi is not an option because the shed is made of steel.
    In the shed I have 2 old HP computers 1 running Linux Mint 18 and the other WIN XP.
    I had the 2 computers connected via Ethernet cable so that I could share data between them and accessed the Internet via WiFi in my previous location because they were all in the one building.
    Now that I am using the Ethernet port for the Internet if I still want to connect the 2 computers I am unplugging the Internet cable and plugging in the computer cable.
    I was told by a salesman that all I had to do was buy a Ethernet switch from him and all would be good.
    My question is can I use this switch to share data between the 2 computers and be connected to the Internet at the same time just by plugging the cables into the switch, if not what do I have to do to make it work?
    I have the IP addresses of both the XP computer (192.168.1.1) and the router (Server 10.0.0.138, IP V4 10.0.0.134)

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    All you need to connect the computers together and to the internet is a router with dhcp, a switch, if the router doesn't have one build in and some cables.

Incoming from the ISP goes to the WAN side of the router or through the DSL, if that's what you have. Then a cat5 cable from the LAN side of the Router to the switch and additional cable from each of the other stations to the switch as well.

3. KONKA

KONKA Thread Starter

Thank you.
    I have an old router that has a WAN port and and LAN ports (a Technicolour TG 797) that I was told could be used as a switch, but I have to get into it's config and make some changes, I tried to follow the instructions but could not get into the config (it's way past my level of skills) so I'll go and buy a switch and do as suggested as it sounds much easier.

4. KONKA

KONKA Thread Starter

I have bought an Ethernet switch (TP-Link TL-SF1005D) and connected my Linux Mint and XP computers plus my internet to it.
    Now I cannot open the XP computer share through it I just get "failed to get share list from server the connection timed out" .
    The internet works fine through the switch.
    If I connect the 2 computers directly together via an Ethernet cable I can open the share which was what I was doing before being forced to use Ethernet for internet connection.
    When I try to open the XP server via the switch there is no activity on the switch (ie no blinking lights to indicate data transfer)
    I just do not understand what is going.

These are the instructions I follow and they work without the switch.
    Open Linux HDD go “file” “connect to Server” IP 192.168.1.2 then password. mount Share Folder and Trains Folder.
    They were written by someone who cannot help me anymore as I moved away from his location.
    IP of Linux is 192.168.1.1 XP is 192.168.1.2
    IPV4 for internet is 10.0.0.134 DNS 10.0.0.138 I believe this is the router
    I have 2 network connections Profile 1 which I am pretty sure that is internet and wired connection 1 which I believe is the share when I look at the the connections there is a dot indicating that profile 1 is in use if I click wired connection 1 I lose the internet.

Edit I just tried to connecting to wired connection effectively turning off profile1 (internet) and was able to open the share.
    I do not know how to get both to stay connected at the same time hopefully someone will be able to help me with this.
    The alternative is to just manually switch between the networks as I work which may not be such a bad thing as it will isolate the internet from XP which is totally unsecure.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I'm not good with Linux. But all the machines should be on the same subnet.
    Check in your router to see which DHCP addresses are being handed out. You may need to either change the scope or set the XP and Linux machines as static reservations. Even setting a static IP in both may work. However, it depends on which addresses are being handed out and whether the IP already are set to static.

Let all machines obtain an IP automatically. (How to do this in Linus, I have no idea) THen they should all be on the same subnet as the addresses will handed out by the DHCP server in the router.

Can you check to see if any have a static IP set?

If you don't know how, please google it. Or I can tell you how to do it on any Windows machine. But, as I said, not on the Linux.

Open a Command prompt on the XP. Then type "ipconfig" (no quotation marks) Press enter and it'll tell you which IP address is set for it. THen, on the Linux, try the “connect to Server” IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where x denotes the IP given by the "ipconfig" command.

If I understand correctly. You need to connect the Linux to the XP, not vice versa.Is that correct.

6. KONKA

KONKA Thread Starter

At the moment I can connect the Linux and XP together and share files between them. This involves selecting a windows network in "Network Manager" and going on from there this disconnects me from the router and puts me on a stand alone network. To go back to the internet I select the network the router is on which disconnects the windows network.
    It is just a matter of clicking on the Network Manager icon on the task bar and selecting whichever network I wish to use, it probably is not an ideal situation but it works for me and I will use the method for a while to see how it goes. The upside I can see in doing it this way is that the XP never sees the internet so is fairly secure from attack.
    I really do not want to mess with something that is working as I do not know what I am doing, I played with my router and stopped my internet for a day and earlier pushed a button and deleted something on the network settings which stopped the share for most of the morning.
    Now that I have it all back I think I will quit while I am ahead.
    Thanks for all the help if I need more in the future I will start a new thread.

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    If you're happy with it. Then who am I to disagree? (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice