1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting to Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hogfanyo, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hogfanyo

hogfanyo Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks in advance and please accept my apology for being the biggest computer illiterate person to ever post a question on here. I'm doing this on my phone so I may be a little slower than others. I have a Acer Aspire 5515 laptop that I've had for several years. The most I do on my computer is Sports, News, Facebook, YouTube and that's about it. I have wifi and I've always used the connection to get on the internet. This morning it just stopped working and between what I know and what Google has suggested I feel like now I'm just going in circles. I tried using my phone as a mobile Hotspot and i could power up and log on without any problem at all but as soon as I would try and go wireless I was disconnected from the Internet. After running a Network Diagnostic check several times I'm stuck with this saying......CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH PRIMARY DNS SERVER..... I've tried resetting my network adapter and it appears as if it's repairing the problem only to say.... A PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.....which then tells me either....PLUG A CABLE INTO THE NETWORK ADAPTER "LOCAL AREA CONNECTION "....... MAKE SURE MY COMPUTER IS IN RANGE.......and.......VIEW AVAILABLE WIRELESS NETWORKS...... My computer tells me that my wifi is working from OWNER PC to the ROUTER but still gives me the X between ROUTER and INTERNET. I've checked my firewall like suggested, unplugged power and removed battery, restarted and any other simple quick fix that I know. Pleaseeeeee tell me what to do.

2. hgh918

hgh918

Hello..

I'd be happy to help you figure this out, just a couple questions..

What OS are you running?
    And most importantly before going on w/ some troubleshooting, are you unable to connect to wifi on anything eqpt you've tried?

3. gophersnake

gophersnake

That would mean you have a wireless router somewhere nearby and the router is (or at least was) somehow connected to your ISP (whoever provides your internet service).
    1. Something could be down between your router and the internet cable into your house. If you have a cable modem that's separate from your wireless router, make sure the modem is on and all the cable connections are in place (Ethernet cables) and tight (coaxial or "TV" cables). Try resetting the cable modem or unplugging it for a minute, plug it back in, and give the lights a few minutes to settle down. If your wireless router is also your cable modem, again, make sure the cable connection it tight and try resetting/powering down and back up.

2. Your ISP may have disconnected you for some reason (perhaps accidentally) or may be having technical difficulties. I assume your cable bill is paid up. That "CANNOT COMMUNICATE WITH PRIMARY DNS SERVER" message says that either you're not connected to the internet at all, or if you are, then the DNS server that's been assigned to you isn't answering.

Does your service provider have a tech support webpage with troubleshooting tips? Do they give tech support by phone? Could they send a test or reset signal to your modem? If worst came to worst, you might have to ask for a technician to come to your house to check if your modem and your cable are working.

My neighbor, who has wifi that occasionally gets flaky, has been able to verify that her cable modem and cable were still working by plugging her laptop directly into the cable modem with an Ethernet cable. When I tried the same thing with my laptop I didn't get an internet connection, most likely because her laptop was already configured to be able to use the Ethernet adapter for internet while mine wasn't. I would have recommended her method to you, but you'd need to make sure the computer you were using was configured right. I'm still working on that part myself, for the next time I might need it.

4. hgh918

hgh918

To configure it so your pc can connect via ethernet, go to network/sharing center, then change adapter settings on left hand side, right click Local Area Connection to enable this.

5. hogfanyo

hogfanyo Thread Starter

OS.....Operating System???

6. hgh918

hgh918

7. hogfanyo

hogfanyo Thread Starter

Believe it or not but I don't know, don't even know where to go to find out. All I'm seeing is Windows Vista, Home Basic....I'm sure that tells you nothing and I apologize again. I bought this new about 6-7 years ago and what I know now is about the same I knew back then. Funny thing is about 6 months ago I somehow gained either the desire to learn or the patience to sit still long enough and figure it out. With the help of Google on my phone I've actually learned a thing or two and was really just strolling along without a problem in the world and then this happens. I'll do my best to keep up and help you as much as your already offering to help me. If at any time you get irritated or decide that this is just too much well I understand and I appreciate you helping just the same whether it gets fixed or not.

8. hogfanyo

hogfanyo Thread Starter

And to answer you question the only way that I'm able to get online is when I turn on Mobile Hotspot on my phone and 'teether' it I believe. Whatever it's called my computers wifi gets it from my phone and works like nothing was ever wrong. When I disable my phone the computer disconnects and I'm right back with nothing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice