1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

connecting to ISP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by schnaz, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schnaz

schnaz Thread Starter

The bugabear virus got us and I had to take the computer to the shop. It's fixed now but in order to get conected to the internet I have to start from the start button, go to programs ,go to accessories, go to communications, go to dial up networking,and finally to my ISP. It's getting old - I'd like to get back to the way things were. thanks in advance, john

2. n2gun

n2gun

When you go through that and get to your isp, try right clicking on it and see if you can send a shortcut to the desktop.

3. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi schnaz,

Double-click on My Computer icon / then Dialup Networking / right-click on your ISP and then click on "creat shortcut"...it will tell you that it can't do it-----send short cut to desktop? Click yes. Once the icon is on the destop you can right click and rename it and change it's appearance.

Good luck.

Spaceman

4. TheShadow395

TheShadow395

Is your ISP set as your default connection? Right-click on the connection, choose the 'Dialling' tab, and tick 'this is the default connection'. Then click 'always dial my default connection'. This should mean that whenever you try to access the web, you should dial-up.

Hope this works,

Alex

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And your other option is to setup Internet Explorer to connect.

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>InternetOptions.

Then click on the Connections tab.

Do you see your ISP connections listed in the window? If so, select "Always Dial My Default Connection". Now go to your desktop and simply click on the IE icon to connect to the net.

If you don't see your ISP listed, click on "Add" to Add it but you'll need to know the settings as the wizard prompts you during setup.

6. schnaz

schnaz Thread Starter

Thanks to all you solved the problem. I chose Bryan's method as that is the way it used to be. And also because in trying the methods which required a right click I found that my mouse would not bring anything up with a right click. I changed mouses but still nothing. john

7. TheShadow395

TheShadow395

...to be continued (lol)...

8. schnaz

schnaz Thread Starter

through a search I learned that too many icons on my desk top could be causing my no right click problem. I put some of the icons in folders and now everything seems ok. thanks again, john

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice