1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting to multiple computers behind routers from the outside

Discussion in 'Networking' started by miloBorealis, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miloBorealis

miloBorealis Thread Starter

So I have several computers behinds a Linksys router. I would like to access each computer through the outside by adding another name as a network prefix. Let's say each computer would be designated as Mouse, Cat, and Dog.

Take SSH for example. I would want to SSH into one computer using port 22 by means of ssh [email protected] and the other by ssh [email protected]. I know I could just use different ports for ssh and have them be forwarded to the different computers with the router and achieve the same effect, but I was wondering how I would do it this other way.

How would this setup work? Does it use a DNS server?

I know I can access different machines on my school this way, but I was curious on how this is actually implemented and if I could do it on my home network. You don't have to give me specific details, just a general direction into what I can research.

Thanks so much.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need different ports. You can only port forward a port to a single machine behind the NAT layer.

3. miloBorealis

hmm, okay.

Well then in a more broader since, how do most organizations have it setup where users can
    can ssh into various machines by name? Like my at my school, I can access each machine by main1.cs.school.edu or main2.cs.school.edu.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you are accessing them from the Internet then they have dedicated IP addresses for each one.

5. miloBorealis

I guess you're right. I just logged in to a few of them and went to whatismyip.com to verify.

This is probably beyond the scope of simple tech support, but how is it that most big organizations connect different computers to the internet then?

As in the case with my school, there's probably about 150-200 computers in the department with dedicated ip addresses. Must there a modem for each one, or some sort of special switch or something provided by the ISP?

But thanks, you answered my question. :)

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is how what you're asking about is done.

The company goes to an ISP. They request a block of IPs like a /25 for instance. This will give the company 125 useable addresses. Then the company uses a router or firewall capable of supporting the number of public IPs to be routed. Cisco routers and firewalls have this capability. If the devices are to be exposed directly to the internet, a simple switch would be the only device required provided the handoff from the ISP is an ethernet connection or the provided modem provides the ethernet handoff.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice