1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting to my D-Link from another room

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamieNJ, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Hi, a further q related to my router. Previous thread is here by the way:
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/455768-solved-hooking-up-both-pcs.html

Moved to a new place, and want to plug my work laptop into the DSL line. Right now I just unplug cable from back of desktop, plug into my work laptop NIC, and I'm in. I want to use my router for this though, obviously. Work does not want me to go wireless with the laptop, so have to run a cable from router port to my laptop. However, I want my laptop to be on a desk ~25 feet away, so figured I would run a cable from router in one room to room where I will be using desktop. Do I just need to buy cable (is it "Category 5 cable"?) and plug into the router. Is the 25' distance a problem? I assume one can find that cable cheap on the net.

Any comments on this woudl be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

25 feet should be no problem.

For what it's worth, I got 50' of cable free after rebate :D

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can run a CAT5 cable 100 meters in a single hop, so 25 feet is not testing the limits. :D

4. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Where did you get it free? Is a "patch cable" any different from what you are referring to above?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're talking to the "Rebate Queen" there, she lives for bargains! :D

6. ~Candy~

I got it at Fry's Electronics, free after rebate as JohnWill said...I LIVE for bargains :D :D

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have a 25meter cable running with no issues on a D-LINK router - although I paid £18 for it :(

8. ~Candy~

25 meters? :eek: Wow......why don't you move the router? :p By the way, how much is that in REAL money? :D :D

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    mainly because i have another 3 cables plugged into the router - printer, and PC/Laptop on a desk - and because of walls and things wireless is non-exist in the back bedroom - but is only used odd weekends so no big deal
    real money
    18 British Pound = 361.484 Mexican Peso
    18 British Pound = 33.23682 US Dollar

10. ~Candy~

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so which one was "real" money AcaCandy ???
    and yep UK is expensive for computer related items - even at computer fairs compared to states............
    not just computer - cameras too, quite a few people buy from states 0% duty on cameras - although they should pay the 17.5% VAT - purchase tax
    but you can get it cheaper online
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Network_Cables.html £12.87

12. ~Candy~

Both for me :D Things are expensive here as well, so I buy everything in the U.S. We can bring back $300 per person in 'taxable' goods. After that, we have to pay about 17.5 percent as well. Of course, there are ways of disguising 'new' goods ;)

13. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Hi, picking up on this thread again. I want to have a third PC connect to the D-Link Router via a wireless connection. The third PC will sit in a room on the other side of the house, same floor, with a few walls in between. It's a relatively new Dell. A few questions:
    -I feel a little silly asking this, but how do I know if the Dell has a wireless LAN card? I do not think I bought one when I bought the PC. It's an Intel Pro/100 VE if that helps. If I need to buy a wireless LAN card, what should I know before buying?
    -will I not know if the wireless connection is good until I install a wireless LAN card, put it in the new room, and check it out?
    My alternative is to run a cable down to the basement and over to the new room, which is not too big of a deal, but I think I will have to buy a bigger bit for my drill. I'd rather do wireless if I can.

14. ~Candy~

Go to the Dell website and key in your service tag, it will tell you what features it shipped with.

The thread is old, so without reading back, is the router wireless?

15. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Yes, it's wireless. It's a D-Link DI-524.

Thanks for the tip on the PC. The description of the NIC is
    It's 430-0412 Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice