1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting to security-enabled wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by edgirl83, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edgirl83

edgirl83 Thread Starter

My Toshiba laptop running Vista as an operating connects just fine to the wireless network at my house. However, I will soon be house-sitting at a house that also has security-enabled wireless available. I connect just fine at my house, but whenever I put in the password at their house it says that that it cannot connect because of a timeout. I can't figure out what the problem is, because I recently went to the public library that has wifi and got on just fine. Does anyone have any idea why in the world it will not connect to this specific wireless router??

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    If you are sure that you are entering the correct security code,then I would suspect that the router has mac address filtering
    enabled and your mac address has not been added to the routers list.

3. edgirl83

edgirl83 Thread Starter

Yes, I am putting in the right password because the owner of the house called their wifi company and they had me check it to make sure. So, how do you add an address to the list??

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Well,you log onto the router(first have the router's user manual open),and go to the security area.There should be an explanation on either how to turn off mac address filtering or adding a mac address to the filter list.
    And hopefully you have the router userid and password.
    And you should probably do this hardwired to the router.

5. edgirl83

edgirl83 Thread Starter

Will do. Would it work to so it from their desktop? I will have to try it next time I'm there, which should be Wednesday. Thank you so much for your help.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Absolutely.That would be the best way.Just have your mac address with you.
    And if you need to ascertain the router address,do this:
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

The router's address will be the ip address of the default gateway from the above output..Generally something like 192.168.xx.xx
    open the browser,and enter that onto the address line and that should get you to the router login page.

7. edgirl83

edgirl83 Thread Starter

I'm a bit confused, but I think I'm supposed to do that from the router that I'm having problems with, right? Oh, and what is my mac address? How do I get it? I'm so not computer savvy at all and this has me just about at wit's end.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Must be done on the router involved.
    When you do an ipconfig /all,the address shown in the field "physical address" will be your mac address.
    Don't worry,you are doing just fine.We are always here to assist.
    When you get there,would be helpful to know the make and model of the router involved.Should be on an id plate on the side or bottom or on the user's manual.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice