Connecting to Server Win 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

punkypict

Hi People, hope you can help with this one. I am trying to set up a small network at home, more as a practice thing for myself, but I seem to be having difficulty connecting with one of my PCs. I have connected successfully with my WIndows 2000 , SP4 machine, by using the Network ID wizard, and I am now able to logon to the Windows 2000 Server via my PC, but a more up to date Asus machine, with Windows XP Pro, SP3 will not allow me to do this. I have tried the same method, but all it does is allow me to log on to the PC only. It doesn't recognise the server at all. I have tried it several times, but to no avail. I can ping the server, and it is recognised, and I can see the folders on the server, but I cannot log on to it via CTRL, ALT, and DEL. Can anyone, hopefully, help me identify what I have done wrong? I have thought that I may have to alter something on the server, but I didn't do that with the Windows 2000 Pro. ANything is appreciated.:eek:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Are you sure you have configured a domain login on the XP machine?

Right click in My Computer and select Properties, Computer Name. Click on the Change button at the bottom of the screen and configure the domain there.

punkypict

Thanks for your response JohnWill! I went into change and configured this, not with the name of the server domain, but with a different name, the one I named the PC with Windows XP Pro. I tried to enter the name of the server - name.local in here, but it made no difference to the login situation. I am assuming that in Change, I give the name of the server, name.local and configure it to follow, restart the machine, then go through the network ID, then restart once more? I have tried this, but it still makes no difference. Completely lost now!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to have the domain name in the Domain box there. You should then get a login box that asks for a domain name for the login.

punkypict

Hi JohnWill, apologies for not writing sooner, but I have been tackling this problem with your suggestions, but getting nowhere. Until I came upon an idea. Everything you advised me to do was correct of course, the problem was, I am using a Belkin USB wireless connection and it was not logging on until I had logged on to the computer. Then it connected. This came o me that this was the problem. I set up the Belkin configuration to start the XP Wireless Zero Configuration and cancelled out the USB automatic start and lo and behold, it connected after restarting the computer. In other words, I needed to connect wirelessly before logging in, and this solved the problem. Thanks for all of your help, and I hope this is useful to others! (y)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Glad you sorted it out, the wireless part would have been very useful to know. ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
©
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online