1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting to the Internet problems (Laptop)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ericleb010, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ericleb010

ericleb010 Thread Starter

Ok, this laptop of mine apparently wasn't in good shape when they bought it used for 800$ :| But it you guys can help me fix this one tiny problem, I can get xp activated, and they will buy me a new laptop.

This laptop had issues in the past, which experts couldn't figure out, yet I managed :cool:. I HAD 30 mins of internet access, but I wasted it on configuring first time settings for the computer. Now I'm stuck with no xp activation, and with 30 days. Help me to get it back on, please!

There are TWO ways you guys can help me with this. Feel free to try both.

1. I have a Wireless Cardbus adapter (Netcore 310gc, which I NEVER heard of in my life) that I can plug into my slot on the side of my laptop, which links to my Wireless D-Link 524 router. Once upon a time though, it would get me access in a blink, but now xp won't detect it, and it won't turn on.

I had placed Ubuntu 7.04 before going back to Xp (which was MUCH better), and I managed to find the driver for the card, which Ubuntu automatically recognized and installed. I tryed the same tactic with xp, but I have no clue how to do so. I'm almost positive it has something to do with the driver, but I might be wrong.

Getting another Wireless card is totally out of the question, since I would only use it once. My parents won't need the internet once I activate xp, so it would be useless. But, it would solve the problem.

2. I have a network cable, (or whatever that blue cable is called) and I managed to get the 30 mins of internet out of it by just plugging it in directly in one of my free slots on my router. All of a sudden, the connection just dropped, and after analysing the problem, it said that a network cable was disconnected, when it actually was, on both ends, connected.

I already tried using another network cable from a working connection, which also was useless. I also noticed that I had installed flash before the connection went out. I haven't tried uninstalling it yet, because I highly doubt that was the cause.

The above has nothing to do with firewalls (I have none), or anything else along those lines.

I am currently using Windows XP Pro, with a possible multiboot with Ubuntu, which I might've missed during the partition :eek:. I have a USB drive to transfer files to the laptop if needed.

If you need more specs, I'll be here for a little while. I just really need anyone's help... thanks alot!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You seem to be ruling out a "permanent" solution. Are you looking to connect to the internet one time, or is the only real goal to activate Windows? If the latter try the 2nd or 3rd method below (excerpt copied from Microsoft's Article 307890).

Activation methods
    You can activate your copy of Windows XP by using any one of the following methods:
    • Activate Windows XP by using the Internet

If you use this method, the Windows Product Activation wizard establishes a connection to the activation server, sends your installation ID, and then processes the activation request.
    • Activate Windows XP by using your modem

If you have a modem but you do not have an Internet connection, the wizard detects your modem and establishes a connection to the activation server through your phone line.
    • Activate Windows XP by phone

If you do not have a modem or an Internet connection, you can activate Windows XP by calling a Microsoft customer service representative. The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

3. ericleb010

Yeah, activating Windows IS my primary goal, but...

1. I've already spent time chatting with Microsoft Customer Service 5 months ago. It took me 4 HOURS to get what I wanted, and it still didn't help. Now I want to activate a copy of XP, which should take about the same amount of time (like the proof of purchase which I don't have). I have school, and I'm not going to try that again.

2. If I can't connect to my router, what makes you think I can connect to my modem, which the router is connected to, and make progress? I've tried gaining Internet connection from the router and still won't make it. I don't see why microsoft is suggesting that...

Edit: Whoops, I'm wayyy too tired right now, and I have no clue what I'm saying.

I don't use my modem anymore. My phone line is seperated from it so it would be useless.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the PC has a dial up modem and you have a land line phone it shouldn't take more than a couple seconds to re-introduce them. :)

The problem with the ethernet connection could be a bad router LAN port or a bad cable. Try with a known good port and cable. When the cable is connected do the ethernet LEDs on the PC and router light?

Please try to connect via ethernet and wireless at the same time and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Upon reading your first post yet again, the wireless card has one or more LEDs that should light but do not? Any chance of trying it in another laptop (don't have to install, just see if it gets power)?

6. ericleb010

Ok, here are the results for the IpConfig:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eric>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : eric-laptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-09-6B-60-20-50

Also, I have no other laptops to connect the card to.

And, the modem is working but there is still no connection.

7. ericleb010

I manged to get on my phone and call. It was automated and only took 5 mins, so its all good now.

I get a new laptop!

Thanks for trying guys.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice