1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting to the Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leopluradon86, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopluradon86

leopluradon86 Thread Starter

Okay, so I connect to the internet in a miserable and unreliable way that I just can't stand. It's through an air card (Verizon) plugged into a router, so I have wifi. It cuts out constantly when I have too much downloading, sometimes it won't connect at all, which both require me restarting the router to fix the problem. Now, my connection will get about 70-80kbs (usually less), and it loads webpages pretty slowly as well. When there is more than one computer in use, it slows considerably. Playing online on Steam is almost pointless because of the lag and when more than one computer is using the internet, it's pretty much unplayable. I started connecting this way about 4 years ago, since I live in the middle of nowhere and it was the best option by far. I'm also not very competent when it comes to internet connections, so I need help. Is there any faster way to connect without paying a ton of money? I know Comcast would run a line here for about $5,000, which is just too expensive. Would a new router or updated air card help me? Thanks, any answers are appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you getting a good mobile wireless signal?

Is the card in a window facing the cell tower to give you the best possible signal?

Can you install the card in a laptop and walk/drive closer to the cell tower to see if that makes a difference?

3. leopluradon86

leopluradon86 Thread Starter

We don't get a great cell signal in general back here so maybe that affects it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice