1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Troubles

Discussion in 'Networking' started by computerfreak, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. computerfreak

computerfreak Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I am having difficulties accessing the internet with wireless connection. I cannot access the internet with my guest computer (windows 2000). I am using a linksys router, that can distribute a wireless connection to my d-link wireless adapter. I have gotten this connection to work before, but payed $100 for someone to do it for me. So I know it is possible. (I had to reformat my w2k because of a problem.

Linksys Router: Wireless - G
    D-link: DWL-g520

Anyways here is how far I am. My guest computer is getting a signal from my host computer (windows vista), and my 2 little computers in the system tray on the guest computer are working fine. There is no "x" on it or error of any sort. It says I am receiving packets and stuff, but when I click my interent browser (ie5) , it says I am offline and asks me to connect. I click connect. Then it says you are not connected to the internet. It tells me to either "work offline" or "try again".

Much help would be appriciated because I dont want to pay again. I should need to touch anything on the host computer because it is still configured as last time to connect to my w2k.

Thankyou

P.S: Even know that might not be campatible it has worked before for abought a year.

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

My suggestion is checking the settings/configuration of the router your new computer may not have the wireless encryption key is assigned, or your computer is not allowed to use the device. <--Such as Wireless MAC Filtering.

Network Support Representative
    Technology and Information Services
    CLPAFS Unified School District

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I'd disable all encryption and MAC filtering on the router and get the connection to work that way. Then you can enable encryption as a separate step. The usual reason for this is mis-matched encryption keys, I suspect you don't have the key that the $100 person configured for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice