1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting TV to DVD Player

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by RubyBlu, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RubyBlu

RubyBlu Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me connect a TV to a DVD player

TV: Toshiba 20AF43
    DVD: Nova DV-P611
    (CABLE) Connection

Thank you! :)

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

What exactly do you need help with? You'd just hook the audio/video cables from the DVD into the same colored inputs on the back of the TV.

3. RubyBlu

RubyBlu Thread Starter

For years, I've been connecting my mothers TV's, VCR's and combo's when they wear out. Recently, I tried to connect her TV with a new combo and there were problems, so I was anticipating difficulty...

I posted because I didn't think it was as easy as connecting "same colored - to same colored". If it's that simple, I'll come back and post as "solved". I always have difficulty understanding whether the cable connection should go directly to the TV or to the DVD.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

You can make it as simple or intricate as you want. I've seen setups come into the dish system, out of it, into a DVD, then to a VCR, to a stereo etc.

Your setup sounds simple, like the one I currently use. DVD straight to TV, cable straight to TV. One remote control. To use the DVD select the AV on remote control, that should be an option on newer things. If not, you may have to have the TV on channel 2 or 3 to watch the DVD.

5. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

If you tell us what the problems were it might help us to help you ...in your case I would have thought you should connect the cable signal to the DVD then from the DVD out to the TV,using most probably a scart cable ...but do tell us how you connected and what problems you encountered .....

6. RubyBlu

RubyBlu Thread Starter

I'm going to try: cable signal to DVD, then DVD to TV, using connectors (white/red/yellow.) I googled scart cable (would this be an important component?) and I've never understood how to make the connection so that only one remote can be used..I digress....
    Going to mom's tomorrow and will hopefully have success.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Connect the cable signal to the DVD player? I don't know of any DVD players that have a cable signal input. They only use video and audio connections.

8. RubyBlu

RubyBlu Thread Starter

What other connection/configuration should I use then? I'm so close to giving up :-(

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You use the colored connections, either composite or component. It's really not that confusing. The colors on the DVD player match the colors on the TV. Connect the TV input to the DVD player output.

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

Mine has a cable signal input ;) I don't use it that way though on this particular system. My TV (VIZIO) has a remote that has an option to go to AV, so I either choose TV or AV. One remote. I love it.

Now, I have another setup in another location that I can't even turn on, yet alone figure out WHICH remote I need to use (there are 3 in total, 4 if I count the slingbox remote). *sigh* I purchased a Harmony all in one, but haven't yet gotten it to work with just that one alone :(

11. telecom69

Its always difficult when replying to different Countries about things such as this,you can connect a cable with an "f" connector very easy by use of a small adapter (f to rf ) it seems that the poster didn't even know what a scart connector is also ...everything over here in the UK is connected by them,( apart from HDMI of course) and also rf connections are also needed ...

Sometimes photos of the connection sockets on the different items can help of course,but in this case there were none,so educated guesses were called for ...

Ruby dont be worrying about the remotes, you do only need one if your dvd is just a basic player ...the player can be connected to the tv either by scart cable or the colored cables,whichever you prefer, you then just select AV on the tv to play from it ....your cable receiver box will also need to be connected to the tv of course,to view the cable programs .... and this brings a second remote into play ....

12. paisanol69

paisanol69

....player, and tv model on the internet. It looks to me like you have a number of different ways to hook them up. If it were me, I would go the easiest route, and get a red/yellow/white set of audio/video cables, and hook the dvd player directly to the back of the TV, and hook up the cable box to the back of the tv also.
    It's the easiest way to get them all working together,and it's also a benefit, if for some reason your dvd player stops working, you will not have to reconnect the cable/tv cables, only have to disconnect the dvd player, and take it in for repair. Since you are doing this for your Mom, it will make it easier for both of you in the future, since you wont have to try and explain anything to her from a remote location.

I hope this helps you out, and good luck !!:D

The first screen shot below is the specs on your dvd player, and the second one is the specs for your TV.

Attached Files:

13. RubyBlu

RubyBlu Thread Starter

player, and tv model on the internet. It looks to me like you have a number of different ways to hook them up. If it were me, I would go the easiest route, and get a red/yellow/white set of audio/video cables, and hook the dvd player directly to the back of the TV, and hook up the cable box to the back of the tv also.
    I did all of the above. With the audio/video cables to DVD, I matched white (M/L) and red (M/R) and yellow (video). The DVD player powered on but I couldn't get the menu to show on the screen. Tried ch 3 then ch 2. Did I not make the correct connections btw the TV and DVD?

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you select the correct input on the TV?

15. telecom69

I second the above mesage ....go into the menu for your tv and look for inputs and try all of them ....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice