1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting two PC's with Crossover Cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Spydermage, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spydermage

Spydermage Thread Starter

Any help is appreciated since I am stumped. I'm connecting two PC's, which are both running XP, to transfer some files between the two. I connected the cable, configured the workgroup and turned off XP's firewall. On PC#1, both computers are recognized in the workgroup, but PC#2 only recognizes PC#2. And when I attempt to PING each computer from the other, PC#2 can ping PC#1 but PC#1 cannot ping PC#2. On both PC's, I have enabled Computer Browsing. Any thoughts on why this is not working? In the past, I have had these two connected with no problems, but now it won't work. Thanks.

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

Welcome to TSG! :D

You may have done this already... does both computers have TCP/IP enabled? Check under Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on Local Area Connection > click on Properties.

3. Spydermage

Sorry, I didn't mention that, but yes, they are enabled.

4. csamuels

csamuels

have you tried to access each comp by browsing to \\comp_name

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can't ping both directions, then likely the networking is not going to work. TCP/IP is much lower on the "rung" of things. You need to eventually be able to ping by both IP and name from all computer to all computers before the network is going to get much farther.

If you cannot ping PC#2 there are some general things to try:

1. For testing purposes, make sure an firewall software (including XP's built in one) is disabled or uninstalled. Some anti-virus software also has firewall software included.

2. Make sure you are using know working network cards, cables, and ports on the hub. There have been recent posts here and elsewhere where this turned out to be the solution.

6. Spydermage

Thanks for the help. Another thing I didn't mention is that I have had these two PC's hooked together in the past with no problems. The only thing that I can think of that has happened since the last time I hooked them up is that I wiped and reformated the hard drive on PC#1.

7. Miz

Miz

Try mapping the drives "the old fashioned way." Open My Computer, go to Tools>Map Network Drive, type in the appropriate computer name and drive share name and see if that jogs things loose.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice