1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting two subnets

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raffaele181188, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raffaele181188

raffaele181188 Thread Starter

I have two routers in my office, each one having wireless extensions and its own DSL connection (don't ask me why :mad:)
    So there are
    router A, 192.168.1.0/24
    router B, 10.8.2.0/24
    I want machine on A subnet communicate with machine on B, so I guess I'll need some sort of physical connection (a cable? a new device?) and little configuration on each router. Router A and B are typical home router with wifi extension: they only have a WAN port, so I guess I won't be able to let them talk to each other simpy by plugging an Ethernet cable between two LAN ports, since the two routers are on different subnets. Can you tell me what I need and if this is a viable objective? (I mean, in terms of costs and easy of configure, since I'm not so skilled in tcp/ip and networking in general, even if I'm very keen in computer networking)

BTW, I'd like to use a dhcp server dinamically configuring a dns server. Is sufficient to configure 1 router to act as a dhcp relay?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you're not worried about network security between the two subnets, then you just need a physical router that just routes between the two networks WITHOUT doing any NATing. You need this if you want to maintain two DHCP servers which issue IP addresses on totally different scopes.

3. raffaele181188

What kind of router do you suggest? I mean, typical home routers won't be enough, afaik
    Is it possible to do this kind of routing with a PC and some hardware expansion? I mean, two network cards or something like this. I already have a Linux box with daemon services, I could add a network card and use it like a router to contain costs, because I think that a professional router -even low end- capable of doing this is above 250$

I want to use just one DHCP server, properly configured. Obviously, one router will be instructed to be a dhcp relay, forwarding all dhcp requests to the other subnet

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Some SOHO routers do support this design. You just have to ensure there is a check box to disable the SPI firewall and a check box to disable NATing.

If you're using a SOHO router as a DHCP server then setting up a DHCP relay isn't going to help. You can't define more than one DHCP scope.

5. raffaele181188

The DHCP server would be on the Linux box, to dinamically update the dns

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice