1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting wifi router to Mac

Discussion in 'Networking' started by p.collins, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p.collins

p.collins Thread Starter

I opened the router and followed the instructions for set up. Once plugges in , it popped up as an option in my network however when I went to set it up and start to use it , there was a connection problem from the website. It suggested that I unplug and reset the router and so I did. Once i did that, the connection no longer appeared at all. I am now having trouble with the router connecting period. Please help , as I really need to be able to access wifi in my house

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the router
    How is it connected to the internet - do you have a separate modem or is this router also a combination modem/router
    who is your ISP and did they supply the router

Do you only have a Mac available ?
    any PCs or other devices ?

3. p.collins

p.collins Thread Starter

It is a Belkin n450 Db
    router and modem are combined
    Broadband, and no I bought the router separate . Im using a mac desktop and I have a ipad and smartphone as well

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. p.collins

p.collins Thread Starter

Broadband is my isp and It has the modem and router together. I talked with my ISp and they told me I just need to connect the internet cord to my router . Yes that is the model and at the top is the plug in for the modem, i have taken the ethernet cord out of my desktop and plugged it into the slot for modem at the top of my router. When i originally did this it had popped up but now nothing is coming up. Thank you for helping me

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the modem/router provided by the ISP ?

you plug the Mac into one of the LAN connections - not the modem connection on the new router
    However
    if the supplied device is a modem/router combination - then you need to setup the new modem slightly differently

connect the Mac to the LAN on the provided modem/router
    And make sure its working correctly and you are connected to the internet OK
    and post back some information from the connection -
    we need to see the IP address for the Mac and the router IP
    default gateway

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Your-IP-Address-on-a-Mac
    http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/21/find-ip-address-mac/

7. p.collins

p.collins Thread Starter

the one provided by the ISp is a small half moon shaped piece. It says on it base unit
    ebu-101-01. Im in located in St. Criox and so this is how their modems are. I am connected right now at the desktop and see the IP address for the Mac and the router IP

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. p.collins

p.collins Thread Starter

IP: 192.168.88.254
    Router: 192.168.88.1

Yes that is it!

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK so I don't have any experience of that - and its does not look like a modem or router - but some form of powerline switch

As you have a router - you will need to setup the router differently to how it would be connected to a modem

do you have access to the "real" router?

where does this halfmoon device connect to ?
    a little detail abut the environment would help

11. p.collins

p.collins Thread Starter

I have the router I purchased and when i spoke with my ISP they said that was all i needed to connect to wifi. The device connects directly to the wall and a box that is all the way on the roof .

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it maybe a Mac address issue - if the ISP uses a Mac Address for authentication

Usually you would assign a IP to the router and setup differently

But I'm not sure what sort of service that is
    St. Criox Virgin Islands - is that correct ?

I assume the ISP is not prepared to talk you through the setup of the router you have purchased ?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice