Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connecting wifi router to Mac

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
I opened the router and followed the instructions for set up. Once plugges in , it popped up as an option in my network however when I went to set it up and start to use it , there was a connection problem from the website. It suggested that I unplug and reset the router and so I did. Once i did that, the connection no longer appeared at all. I am now having trouble with the router connecting period. Please help , as I really need to be able to access wifi in my house

#2 ·
whats the make and model of the router
How is it connected to the internet - do you have a separate modem or is this router also a combination modem/router
who is your ISP and did they supply the router

Do you only have a Mac available ?
any PCs or other devices ?

#5 ·
Broadband is my isp and It has the modem and router together. I talked with my ISp and they told me I just need to connect the internet cord to my router . Yes that is the model and at the top is the plug in for the modem, i have taken the ethernet cord out of my desktop and plugged it into the slot for modem at the top of my router. When i originally did this it had popped up but now nothing is coming up. Thank you for helping me

#6 ·
whats the make and model of the modem/router provided by the ISP ?

you plug the Mac into one of the LAN connections - not the modem connection on the new router
However
if the supplied device is a modem/router combination - then you need to setup the new modem slightly differently

connect the Mac to the LAN on the provided modem/router
And make sure its working correctly and you are connected to the internet OK
and post back some information from the connection -
we need to see the IP address for the Mac and the router IP
default gateway

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Your-IP-Address-on-a-Mac
http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/21/find-ip-address-mac/

#7 ·
the one provided by the ISp is a small half moon shaped piece. It says on it base unit
ebu-101-01. Im in located in St. Criox and so this is how their modems are. I am connected right now at the desktop and see the IP address for the Mac and the router IP

#10 ·
OK so I don't have any experience of that - and its does not look like a modem or router - but some form of powerline switch

As you have a router - you will need to setup the router differently to how it would be connected to a modem

do you have access to the "real" router?

where does this halfmoon device connect to ?
a little detail abut the environment would help

#12 ·
it maybe a Mac address issue - if the ISP uses a Mac Address for authentication

Usually you would assign a IP to the router and setup differently

But I'm not sure what sort of service that is
St. Criox Virgin Islands - is that correct ?

I assume the ISP is not prepared to talk you through the setup of the router you have purchased ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.