1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Win98 w/ WinXP via IPX

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NewGuyHere, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NewGuyHere

NewGuyHere Thread Starter

Me and a friend of mine connected our pc's via TCP/IP. We used a router, and it works fine (games, applications, everything works). Now we want to connect our pc's via IPX protocol. We've tried, but it didn't work for some reason. Do we only need to do something with Windows, or do we need to disconnect the router and connect the computers directly ? Also, what do we need to reconfigure ? (My pc has Win98, his has WinXP).

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Why do you want to use IPX??

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Some routers don't support IPX... you may want to verify that your router does support it then you need to ensure you have the IPX/SPX protocol loaded on your OSes.

(I'm assuming you want it for older games that don't support TCP/IP gaming).

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Ahhhh. Good point. I could see where it would be useful there.

5. natcom

natcom

IPX was mostly design for Novell's NetWare operating system also IPX it is not as easy to route as TCP/IP so you wont get any speed improvement if that what you looking for

6. NewGuyHere

NewGuyHere Thread Starter

We need it for some old games. If the router won't work, can't we just connect the pc's directly via cable ?

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sure can make sure you have IPX installed on both systems and that they have all the same link speeds and modes set similarly and then do direct connecting... there are alot less "troubleshooting" tests if it does not work. For example ping does not work over IPX.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/416722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice