1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Windows XP with windows 98 as network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by **__**, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP PC and A Windows 98 PC and I want to connect them as 1 network. Both computers are connected to the same cable provider. Both computers go through a Ethernet Broadband Router, the cable modem, then to the internet. How do I set these computers up as a home private network?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

They should already be on the same network they probably only need file and print sharing enabled.

1) Make sure your ip address of the 2 PC's have the same first 3 octet's I.E. 10.10.10.X or 192.168.1.X or whatever.
    2) Make sure both PC's have a unique machine name
    3) Make sure both PC's are in the same workgroup.
    4) Make sure your firewalls are down or configured for networking (usually I recommend uninstalling anything but windows firewall and making sure thats disabled until you have networking enabled.
    5) Make sure PC 1 can ping PC 2 using the ip addresses figured out in step 1.
    6) Make sure both PC's are running the same protocol (should not be a problem 99% of the time) and have file and print sharing enabled.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also:

1. On the XP Computer, create the same user account and password that is being used on the Win98 computer.

Then share something like a directory or printer

4. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

When I go to my network places on the XP and I click on the 98 computer icon, it sais that I can't access it. On the 98 computer, I have an icon (picture of 2 computers) in the tray, but when I point to it, it sais that the Gateway is unconfigured. I can't click on the icon. Is this why I can't access that computer because the gateway is unconfiguered? Why can't I access the 98?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What have you shared on the Win98 computer?

6. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

nothing

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you haven't shared anything on it, you can't access anything on it.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. See post #3

9. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

How do I enable sharing on the 98????

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You install file & print sharing, then share a folder, disk, printer, etc.

11. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I went to Control panel and there I went to network options and there I enabled file and printer sharing. But I still have the same problem. What do I do?

12. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

This is the exact message I get when I click on the Windows 98 icon in my network places:

\\Windows98 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The network path was not found.

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you a folder or printer on your computer yet.

14. radiocynic

radiocynic

After enabling file and print sharing on the 98 machine, you need to go to My Computer and right-click on the drive that you want to see, select Properties, then Sharing, and check all the appropriate boxes to enable the sharing (leaving the password field blank presuming you won't need passwords.)

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "\\Windows98 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The network path was not found."

My feeble memory is trying to tell me that NetBIOS AWOL on the 98SE could cause this. Can somebody tell him how to check for NetBIOS, and to install if needed?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice