1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting wired instead of wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gophersnake, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gophersnake

gophersnake Thread Starter

My neighbor and I both connect to the Internet over her wifi network. Usually everything works fine. Once in a while something goes wrong with the wireless router and we need to troubleshoot it. My neighbor just plugs her laptop into the cable modem with an Ethernet cable. If she gets online that way, it means the cable service and modem are fine and we need to look to the wifi router.

I had occasion to try the same thing recently, using my laptop with the Ethernet cable. I wasn't able to figure out how to make my laptop (running Windows 7) recognize the internet connection. My neighbor's laptop is an Apple so hardly anything is the same.

Whenever the wifi was working, my laptop would find it and connect to it more or less automatically. When the wifi router was down, even with the Ethernet cable plugged into the cable modem, my laptop couldn't seem to find anything available to connect to. I got sidetracked for quite a while trying to use the "Broadband Connection" option but by now I'm pretty sure that wasn't the right one for this situation. It always prompts me for a username and password but as far as I know, our ISP doesn't use usernames and passwords. Our cable modem identifies itself to the ISP (by giving its MAC number or something), the ISP authenticates it, and we're good to go. The wifi router does require network names and passwords but my understanding is that our ISP doesn't know or care about those.

I suspect I need to use my laptop to create a network, make the cable modem part of that network, and then just access the Internet through the network. Before I start studying exactly how to create a network, I just want to know if I'm on the right track.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its against the ISP rules to share internet between premises

see the rules here
    http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

even with permission your neighbour is breaking her agreement with the ISP

and we do not provide support under this circumstances

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice