1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting wireless for a 200m/300m range ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BlizzardUK, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlizzardUK

BlizzardUK Thread Starter

I am looking to get about 10 or so buildings (holiday flats) setup with wireless internet access. I first think an omni directional antenna may be the best and cheapest way to go. Would something like this work : http://www.trendnetdirect.co.uk/tew_ao12o_outdoor_12_dbi_omi_directional_antenna.html

If so, what would I need to buy with it ? Also how can I allow all holiday guests to use the wirless connection without needing to use a key ? I am unsure how the pros share net access with safety and also how they manage bandwidth.

The area is in a square with houses around the outside. The reception where the router is, is sadly behind a brick wall. Also some single floor houses are behind 2 floor buildings. I would say it is about 200m from router to furthest away building, but 300m would be a total maximum. Middle area is open.

Any advice appreciated as my head is buzzing with just too many options out there. I am finding it hard to hear back from any companies with answers, which is getting a bit frustrating. I am willing to buy equipment from companies but I need them to advise me on what I should buy that will do the job. Just find it so hard to hear back from them so I am very confused on exactly what I need, down to even the cabling needed.

Big thanks in advance !!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I claim no expertise on antennas, but that one looks OK to me.

If you are going to have the antenna behind the brick wall that seems a little bit like seeing how far you can walk in 5 minutes with the 1st step being through a brick wall. :(

If I rent from you, I don't want one of the one story buildings behind a two story. No guarantee that the signal will be blocked, but it doesn't sound promising.

If you could put the router and antenna on a flag pole in the middle of that square that would be your best chance for complete success. You pretty much want line of sight from the access point to each building. That's probably not possible, but keep that in mind as the ideal. Scattering several access points around in strategic locations, as larger motels do (or should do) would probably be better than relying on one antenna, unless you can locate that in the middle.

Consider using a router (or just an access point) and a laptop, or two laptops and a helper, and experimenting to see what percentage of signal strength is lost going through the brick wall (if that is going to be necessary) and through a building to get to another one.

If there is little danger of outsiders accessing your wireless network you can leave it unsecured. If you need to restrict it to only your guests any method is going to require some kind of key or password that only you and they know.

3. BlizzardUK

BlizzardUK Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Any idea how I can create multiple access points if needed ? If I were to put the main omni directional antenna on top of the wall (or at least higher than the wall) then could I create another access point from that device on top of a 2 floor building so the single floor buildings behind that get a signal too ? Would I need another router or just another antenna ? If another router, does it need a PC connected to it ? I was planning on only having one staff PC in the reception with the main router, all other PCs would be guests laptops when needed.

Sadly I don't think we can put it in the middle of the square, that would be ideal but it is a nice open grass and flowers area and a pole in the middle would spoil things too much. Obviously if it is the only way it might be able to be done, but only as a very last resort. We can place things on top of buildings though or attached to them.

Thanks again for any advice.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are wireless access points (example) and we can post the directions for using any wireless router as an access point. The possible downside for you is that there needs to be an ethernet cable between the router and access point. If the cable is outside, between buildings, it should be installed by somebody qualified (there are electrical and lightning dangers).

There are Range Extenders or Repeaters that could be placed on a roof; a Repeater receives a wireless signal and then re-broadcasts it. The downsides of these are that they seem to be difficult to get working in the first place, and they slow the network (wireless is half duplex, so it's not receiving and sending at the same time).

A computer connected by ethernet is needed to configure a router, access point or repeater, but can then be disconnected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice