Connecting wireless printer to network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

holymoly

We have printers connected to the network, but I need a standalone printer connected to my workstation due to the confidential nature of some of my printing.

I chose a small wireless printer as I already am being strangled with wires and cables.

I went thru the wireless installation, and was told to connect PC to printer via USB.

I finally got a connection, but not the one I wanted. We also have a wireless router, but connecting to it
I got message saying "a connection was made but your PC is not connected to your printer".

What do I need, a wireless USB adapter connected to PC?

TerryNet

Terry
I don't understand. Is the router you mention one that you are going to use just for your computer and printer--no internet access and no other devices connected--or is it one that multiple people use?

If the former, now that you have the printer connected all you need to do is connect your computer to the router. If the latter, it seems to me other people would have access to the printer.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your computer will need a wireless adapter if it does not have one. Most if not all printers have a function called ad-hoc, which I assume that is your problem here if you don't have a wireless adapter.

Be advised though, the ad-hoc may not be secure and will allow other people to connect to the printer. I am not too sure how far the signal will go though.

holymoly

I don't understand. Is the router you mention one that you are going to use just for your computer and printer--no internet access and no other devices connected--or is it one that multiple people use?

If the former, now that you have the printer connected all you need to do is connect your computer to the router. If the latter, it seems to me other people would have access to the printer.
The network or server is not connected to the router.

holymoly

Your computer will need a wireless adapter if it does not have one. Most if not all printers have a function called ad-hoc, which I assume that is your problem here if you don't have a wireless adapter.

Be advised though, the ad-hoc may not be secure and will allow other people to connect to the printer. I am not too sure how far the signal will go though.
The wireless adapter, could this be a USB drive or an actually piece that pops inside the tower?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The wireless adapter, could this be a USB drive or an actually piece that pops inside the tower?
Either/or. If you are comfortable doing the internal one, i think those are cheaper.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts