1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting wireless printer to network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by holymoly, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

We have printers connected to the network, but I need a standalone printer connected to my workstation due to the confidential nature of some of my printing.

I chose a small wireless printer as I already am being strangled with wires and cables.

I went thru the wireless installation, and was told to connect PC to printer via USB.

I finally got a connection, but not the one I wanted. We also have a wireless router, but connecting to it
    I got message saying "a connection was made but your PC is not connected to your printer".

What do I need, a wireless USB adapter connected to PC?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand. Is the router you mention one that you are going to use just for your computer and printer--no internet access and no other devices connected--or is it one that multiple people use?

If the former, now that you have the printer connected all you need to do is connect your computer to the router. If the latter, it seems to me other people would have access to the printer.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Your computer will need a wireless adapter if it does not have one. Most if not all printers have a function called ad-hoc, which I assume that is your problem here if you don't have a wireless adapter.

Be advised though, the ad-hoc may not be secure and will allow other people to connect to the printer. I am not too sure how far the signal will go though.

4. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

The network or server is not connected to the router.

5. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

The wireless adapter, could this be a USB drive or an actually piece that pops inside the tower?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Either/or. If you are comfortable doing the internal one, i think those are cheaper.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice