1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting wireless router to ethernet coming out of a computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by russeltmclean, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. russeltmclean

russeltmclean Thread Starter

I have read several solutions to similar problems but they do not work in my situation for some reason. (including the colledge dorm and router to router solutions)

MY SETUP
    I am work on drilling rigs at remote locations way up North. As such my internet come to me via satellite. I do not have access to the modem (if you even call it that in this situation). All I have in my building is a wire called a "Pason Cable" that enters through the wall.

Only one computer on location has the necessary port on the back to connect to this cable. (window 2000 OS)

This computer then has a cable which I believe is called an eithernet cat 5 port with a cable coming out of it. We have always connected this to various wireless routers. (Different people bring their own)

I recently purchased a new D-link DIR-625 wireless N router.

I have it hooked up with the cable out of the aforementioned computer going into the "internet" port on the D-link.

The Problem
    Computers can connect to the new D-Link with 100% signal but cannot connect to the internet. The router confirms that the is no connection to the internet via a flashing light indicator.

Attempted Solutions
    I have attempted to use the other solutions on this site:
    -Disable DHCP and set the first three numbers of the routers IP address to the same as the host computers, and the last to 254.

-I have also connected the line out of the first computer directly to a second computer (internet works when I do this). Then Connect the router to the second computer and clone the MAC address.

-We have a Linksys BEFW11s4 v3.2 (wireless router and 4 port switch) on location. The wireless does not work on this, but the device does work if we hard line it to other computers. I have attempted the above two solutions by connecting the "LAN out" on the Linksys to the "internet" port on the aforementioned D-Link.

From all the reading I have done I think that I have to force my D-link to work as a switch. I simply cannot seem to make it work.

I also loose the ability to open the administrative program on the D-link when I change the ip address and disable DHCP. I have release / renewed ip on the second computer (the one I am hard lined into the D-link while administering changes) and powered off both the computer and the router. Still the only way to get back connected with the router is to hard reset it.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You want to connect a LAN port on the Linksys to a LAN port on the DLink (not the internet port), then follow the instructions you have read for making the router work as a switch.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to use it as a standard router. Please post the following information for when you're connected directly to the satellite connection without the router in the picture.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

4. russeltmclean

This is the "ipconfig /all" readout from the Host computer which the Pason wire is going into, and all other internet come out of (PC1)

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\operator>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WS-00508BDB38E8
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter EDRVPN:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Win32 Adapter V8
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8B-DB-38-E8

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network Connecti
    on #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8B-DB-38-E8
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.38.1.15

PPP adapter Shared Blueheat PPP Connection Port 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.41.0.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.41.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.123.224.68

C:\Documents and Settings\operator>

The computer I am working on right now (also the computer I have been using for programing the routers) (PC2) is one of three computer that are attached to PC1 right now via the aforementioned older Linksys BEFW11s4 v3.2 (wireless router and 4 port switch). This is the "ip config /all" output for that computer (PC2)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Weatherford>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : wds-field
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D1-B9-81-21
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:48:06 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 27, 2008 2:48:06 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-35-BF-AF-68

C:\Documents and Settings\Weatherford>

I apreciate your promp reply to my message.

On another note, I did quickly attempt to attach the d-link router via the LAN port, but again did not get the internet connection indicator light to indicate a connection nor did the computers linked wirelessly recieve the internet. I was attempting to connect through the linksys router.

Also I have ran the linksys router with factory defaults (following hard reset) and with ip and DHCP configured as previously suggested for the D-link, just to compare the results with my D-Link. There was no change in the way it opperated, before and after the setting changes.

5. arayq2

arayq2

The main PC, with the inbound Pason cable attached, has Internet Connection Sharing enabled. That's fine. But what it means is that this PC is already the router for the network emanating from its ethernet card. You are therefore correct in thinking that the D-Link should be used as a switch, if possible.

So, if you run the ethernet cable from the main PC into a LAN port (and not the WAN port) of the D-Link, and wire another computer similarly to another LAN port, this second computer should get internet connectivity as a DHCP client of the main PC (with ICS, the network will be 192.168.0.x).

If all this works, is the remaining problem to get the wireless going?

Update: You could also connect the D-Link as a router behind the main PC -- i.e. connect to the main PC via its WAN port. Here, it would have to be configured as a DHCP client of the main PC (and receive a 192.169.0.x address from it). Downstream, it can be a regular router for another network, choose another subnet in the 192.168.x.0 space with x not 0. That might be an easier way to get wireless going too.

6. russeltmclean

Yes, you are right. Actually the only concern is getting the wireless working. The older router we have (linksys) attached to the ethernet cable from PC1 is already working fine when we connect our computers to it with ethernet cables (oddly the ethernet cable into this router is going into the "internt" port not any of the LAN ports)

We just can't have all these 20 foot wires running arround our work space.

Ideally I would like to have the D-Link (new wireless router) run off the Linksys. This way I do not have to go into the other office to reset, or work on the router. The person in that office is fed up with me walking in and out!

7. arayq2

arayq2

Then someone has set up the Linksys as a cascaded router (my second scenario above)

Do you mean connecting the D-Link to the Linksys wirelessly? That -- a bridge -- almost certainly won't work. If they're to be connected by a cable, and both of them are to be access points for wireless clients, then you're talking about a WDS. Someone has a canned post for this setup (basically, a LAN-port to LAN-port connection between the routers)... stand by.

8. russeltmclean

When I was looking over the message I sent containing the ipconfig /all outputs, I realized that I had not yet set tryed setting the first three #s in the routers ip to that of the old router (Linksys).

I just changed my D-link to http://192.168.1.254 with DHCP off.

**note that PC2 had an ip in this range because it was connected to the linksys which had an IP of http://192.168.1.1

it is now working perfectly.

For anyone reading this note to solve their own similar problem. I should mention that the D-link router is still not registering the internet connection on it's light pannel. I imagine this is because it is working as a switch.

Recap

satalite interent into PC1 out to the Linksys router (R1) connected into the internet port (not lan)

LAN on R1 connected to LAN port (not internet port) on D-Link wireless router (R2).

Prior to connecting the two routers together, I did a hard reset on the wireless router (R2).

Disconected one of the computers (PC2) I had connected to the Linksys (R1)

Connected the D-Link (R2) to PC2 with a ethernet cable. Entered the admin settings menu > set router ip address to the same first 3 digits as the Linksys (R2) and the final digit of the ip to 254. And turned off DHCP.

I disconnected the D-Link and PC2.

Then ran a ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Linksys to a LAN port on the D-Link.

Imedate results.

Note: no need in this situation for all this crazy rebooting and power cycleing.

9. arayq2

arayq2

You worked it out yourself, great!! :) (y)

10. russeltmclean

The only remaining problem will be when the guy who owns the Linksys (R2) goes home.

Will this setup work when I connect the D-Link (R2) directly to the ethernet port on the back of the host computer (PC1) provided I change the first three numbers of the D-Links IP to match that which a computer connected to that port would output via "ipconfig"

Or do I have to somehow set up that computers internal router to work as "cascaded router" (which is something I just now heard of)

This site is great.... I will definitely try to help others with any simple problems I can solve.

11. arayq2

arayq2

That might work, but it will probably be safer to have the D-Link configured as the Linksys is now: as a DHCP client of the main PC (it will then get a 192.168.0.x address for its WAN-port automatically) and as a router for the network on its LAN ports. You'll have to turn on DHCP: the 192.168.1.x network as you have now is as good as any.

12. russeltmclean

The problem is that I did not configure the Linksys at all. I just hard reset it to factory defaults.

If I have to set up the D-Link the same as the Linksys (cascaded as you say) I will not know where to start, unless it is a check box in options or something.

I guess what I was asking is if this "cascaded" setting is essential to the configuration. That is once the configuration is only the PC1 and the D-Link.

13. arayq2

arayq2

Not clear. There are two scenarios, depending on where the cable from the main PC would connect into the D-Link.

1. The WAN port. Then the D-Link would have to be set up as a router , as the Linksys is now, for the clients on its LAN ports and antenna. DHCP enabled to support these clients (network 192.168.1.x), and itself a DHCP client of the main PC (with a WAN-side address in the 192.168.0.x network).

2. A LAN port. Then the D-Link would be a switch (as it is now.) DHCP server off (everyone will be a DHCP client of the main PC), and static address, if needed for the wireless access point, in the 192.168.0.x network -- this last bit is tricky in that nothing definite is known about how many connections can be shared by a Windows PC, and you don't want the static address to clash with a dynamic address handed out by the DHCP server on the main PC. Node 254 might be the safest. :)

14. arayq2

arayq2

Out of the box, Linksys routers configure as DHCP clients WAN side, DHCP servers LAN-side for 192.168.1.x, no wireless security. It all works as long as the DHCP server on its WAN side isn't on the 192.169.1.x network. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/762888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice