1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Wireless Router To Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mocks1, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mocks1

mocks1 Thread Starter

Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL 8-Port Router
    Netgear Wireless Firewall Router WGT624 V2
    Netgear Wireless PCMCIA Card
    Motorola Surfboard 4200 Voice Modem

The devices are connected like this:

Cable Modem>Linksys 8-port>Netgear Wireless
    ...........................^.....................^.........
    ........................desktops.............laptop

This is a friend's computer network at her home which I was helping to add more ports with a new 8-port router:

I am unable to get internet access with a laptop which is connected wirelessly to a Netgear wireless router which is in turn connected to a port on a Linksys router

I am able to ping the ip address of the Netgear Wireless from laptop using 192.168.0.1 and the Laptop is getting an address of 192.168.0.2 from the Netgear device. This tells me that the card is communicating fine with the wireless router. I don't think I was able to ping the address of the Linksys at 192.168.1.1. from the laptop. I do not remember if I was able to ping Netgear router address from the desktop computer. The desktop is getting an address of 192.68.0.100 from the Linksys router. Are these two different ip address ranges causing a problem? I am unfamiliar with Netgear wireless products and I only found the internal config page (and login password info) just before I had to leave and I did not notice what address the wireless router was being assigned by the Linksys router or if a firewall was blocking communication with Linksys portion of the network

The wireless router,desktop and laptop was originally setup and working fine--then I disconnected everything and connected the Linksys 8-port router up as the main router after the cable modem and then the Netgear wireless. The desktop sees the internet just fine but I get no internet connection from the laptop

Do I have some sort of addressing problem,ICS missing or misconfigured or a firewall program built into routers blocking the Netgear from accessing the internet. Should I assign the same static ip range to both routers/computers?

In frustration I hit the reset button on the Netgear wireless to see if that would help out after being exhausted from no sleep the night before and I have no idea what state it defaulted back to. I have not been back over to my friend's house because I wanted to research and post here to see if my tired memory could be jogged.

I don't know where to start on this connection problem and any advice on what to configure would be very helpful. If anyone has any links to a tutorial on this type of setup/problem that would be great too----thank you.

2. Proggie

Proggie

3. mocks1

mocks1 Thread Starter

Wow that was quick I will check out the link--thanks!

Anyone else have any suggestions/links that worked for them?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have the same suggestion that was in the other link, since it's the correct one. :D

5. mocks1

mocks1 Thread Starter

Thanks,Johnwill--I will follow the previous link's advice and report back the results.

6. mocks1

mocks1 Thread Starter

It Worked Great!

I set a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.165 for the Netgear wireless router which is outside of the DHCP range of 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.149 for the Linksys 8-port router

I got this info from the internal configuration screens of each router typing in the address bar of Internet Explorer the following Ip addresses:

192.168.1.1 for the Linksys and then I put in the default password as 'admin' and left username box blank

I used 192.168.0.1 to access the Netgear config page and typed:

'admin' for the username
    'password' in the password box

I also changed the login names and passwords from the default settings to prevent anyone from accessing routers from outside world

Once I set a fixed(static) address for the Wireless and rebooted I was able to get internet access

I am going by memory, but I set it up like this on Netgear wireless router:

Ip address 192.168.1.165
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1

Dns server addresses

167.206.3.xx
    167.206.3.xx

which are the actual addresses of Optimum Online DNS servers minus last octet

I think I might have been able to set DNS to automatic or point it to the Linksys IP address of 192.168.1.1 to do DNS service but it worked this way so I kept it with above settings

I believe I assigned a static address on the wireless card adapter of 192.168.1.166 to keep a good addressing scheme in the correct range

All is well now and I hope this info helps other members that read this thread---Thanks to everyone that helped!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We love success stories. :)

8. mocks1

mocks1 Thread Starter

Yes---The Sweet Smell Of Success!

Thanks Again To All!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/301278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice