1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting wireless router to wireless access point

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cono07, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cono07

cono07 Thread Starter

Hi all

This is my first post and I would like some advice and for someone to tell me if what I want to do is indeed possible.
    I would like to connect a wireless access point (placed upstairs) to my wireless belkin router (placed in downstairs living room). I want to place the wireless access point upstairs then connect a switch to this with an ethernet cable. I will then be connecting a blu-ray player, tv and xbox console via the switch to the wireless access point. I'm hoping this will also increase the wireless signal in the attic which would be a bonus but not hugely important. I want to connect everything upstairs wirelessly because trailing a long ethernet cable through the house isn't possible, which is why i'm thinking of this set up. I'm thinking of using either the TP-Link TL-WA801ND or the Edimax EW-7416APN because these seem reasonably priced with good reviews.

If any one can tell me if this sounds correct and if it will work before I go out and buy the gear that would be great. Many thanks for any help in advance!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like you want a Wireless Bridge (or AP Client). If you get a decent signal in the desired location and the WAP includes Wireless Bridge mode it should work fine. I use one (now discontinued, so I won't recommend it) myself for a camera whose integrated wireless no longer works.

That requires Repeater (or Range Extender) mode. If the WAP includes Wireless Bridge mode it will (I'm pretty sure) also include this mode. I understand that some units can do both jobs (wireless bridge and repeater) at the same time.

I didn't look at the specs or manuals for the units you mentioned; just indicating what you should be looking for.

3. cono07

cono07 Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet for the reply.

The edimax unit states it:

• Supports point-to-point and point-to-multi point bridge function
    • Supports WDS (Wireless Distributed System) repeater mode
    • Supports Universal Repeater mode
    • Supports AP Client mode
    And the TP-Link states it:

• Supports AP Client,
    • Bridge,
    • Repeater and AP operation modes to enable various wireless applications

So it would seem that either of these units should work fine in the setup I described if I use the bridge or AP client mode. As for the signal strength in the attic, that isn't really a priority so it doesn't matter if it doesn't improve.

Thanks very much for your help :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Either should work fine; let us know how it comes out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice