1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting wireless router to wireless dongle

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ivordotevans, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ivordotevans

ivordotevans Thread Starter

Hi All,

Firstly to set the scene am compuer literate having been a programmer for some years but networking not my strong point.

Am trying to create a small network at home. I have the following:

Laptop
    PC
    Linksys wireless router (LinksysWRT54GS)
    Wireless dongle (chinese thing from airtel Zambia Africa where I am)

I want to connect the Laptop and the PC together via the Linksys router and for the laptop and PC to go on to the internet via the router to the internet dongle and out.

The key is that I have to link the Linksys router to the dongle via wireless as there are no other ways to connect them.

The wireless dongle has the following setup that I cant change:
    Its IP is 192.168.1.1
    It dishes out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.101

The Linksys wireless router is as follows but obviously these can be changed:
    Its IP is 192.168.1.4
    It also dishes out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.101

I can find plenty of examples where the Linksys is connected to a modem via a cable but not via wireless. Also can I actually do what I am trying to do?

thanks

Ivor

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    this is some form of 3g mobile modem dongle
    and NOT just a wireless adapter
    correct?

the only thing I can think of is to use bridge or ICS on the PC to connect the wireless to the ethernet on the laptop and then use that on the router - But not sure thats going to work at all
    as you need to be able to apply IPs to different devices

do you have the exact model of the wireless dongle - does it plug into a USB port on the PC/laptop - or is it stand alone

3. ivordotevans

Yes it is a mobile wireless dongle. Am using this to connect to the internet to respond to these posts so before I open it up all the info I have on it is its a:

Huwei WIFI dongle. It has no connections to it at all apart from a USB charging port.

It is stand alone.

Further info:

It apparently accepts up to 5 machines although I have only physically tested this up to two - my Laptop (XP) and PC (XP)

I can happily connect to the internet using the dongle as each of my machines has a wireless card and picks up the dongle as an "available wireless network"

My idea originally started when I wanted to connect the two machines via my Linksys router which got me to thinking why cant I connect the machines to the Linksys - via wireless - and then the Linksys to the mobile dongle - also via wireless - to allow each of the machines to connect to one wireless network but still be able to see the internet

Currently when both the dongle and the Linksys are switched on both appear as "available wireless networks" but if I connect to the Linksys I cant connect to the web.

hope that makes sense

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if they are all wireless and connected to the dongle - why the need for the router at all?

5. ivordotevans

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    ??????????

7. ivordotevans

Sorry power cut! Now on BBerry

A good question now I think about it although in future going through Linksys router would mean more control no? Security config etc. You can't do anything at all with dongle.

Your point does perhaps change the question then - Using the wireless dongle will the two machines be able to see eachother "across" it and if so is there anything I need to do on the machines to make that happen ie firewall settings etc that won't expose me from a security point of view?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, should do and yes

have a read here
    Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Here’s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

Tips for Troubleshooting Windows File and Printer Sharing
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/tp/winfilesharing.htm

9. ivordotevans

Ok super etaf I will try that tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help it is much appreciated!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice