1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connecting Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cycler, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

I think that I posted this in the wrong section first!

I just bought a Wireless Router to connect to my DSL Modem and it's difficult for me to picture the configuration to see if I need a longer cable.
    My computer is about 50' away from my Modem (an L shape away) and is connected using a very long cable. Since the computer, the Router and the Modem all need to be connected and the cable the Router provided is too short, before disconnecting things I was wondering if there was a way of switching the cable so that only 2 of them needed to be close to one another and might be connected using the short cable if you're able to picture what I'm saying.
    Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can connect the modem to your router with as long a cable as you like, at least up to 100 meters. You can then use the short cable to connect the computer to the router.

3. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

Now I'm confused - isn't it the router and modem that need to be close to one another to be connected by the short cable and one of them then to the computer using the long cable?

Right now it is just the modem to the computer using the long cable.

4. JohnWill

Nope, you can have the router wherever you would like it to be. For instance, I have Verizon FiOS, so I have a ONT Optical Network Terminal, aka modem in the basement near the service entrance. My router is on the second floor in my office suite. A CAT5 cable connects them. The length of the Ethernet cables has no bearing on connectivity, as long as they're properly made and don't exceed 300 feet or so. :)

5. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

So if my computer is already connected by the long cable to the modem what is the easiest way to connect the router using the short cable to both knowing that the computer is far away from the modem?

6. JohnWill

Connect the cable from the modem to the WAN/Internet port of the router. Connect the short cable from any of the LAN/Network ports of the router to the computer.

7. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

I followed the directions on the CD exactly and although it does detect a connection while the modem is on before beginning to add the router when I've connected all of the cables as directed and all of the lights are on when it does the update it doesn't detect a connection at all.
    I double checked - everything was plugged in properly and in the right place - any ideas why it isn't able to connect?

8. JohnWill

Please describe EXACTLY what is connected to what and to which ports.

9. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

OK - originally, the computer was connected to the modem (long white cable).
    Following the instructions on the CD after they detected a connection I shut off the modem and unplugged it. I then disconnected the cable from the computer end and connected the new cable that was included in the router package to the same place in the computer and the second end went into the first of the multi-ports - the white cable went into the first single port which I believe is the Internet port. The cable connected to the modem remained the same.

10. JohnWill

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

I'd also like to see this.

Try these simple tests.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

PING 216.109.112.135

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

I will do all that first thing tomorrow - after connecting and disconnecting 3 times today already I am exhausted from crawling around to get behind where everything is plugged in (and I'm not a kid!)
    Unfortunately I live in a building that wasn't thought out well where phone jacks and outlets were placed (Verizon wanted $180.00 to install another one closer to my computer!) so everything is difficult to access.
    I did the secons tests - I didn't know if you wanted them now or after I connected (if I was able to connect) the first test said Bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=55 on all 4 lines.
    Ping statistics sent 4 received 4 lost 0
    for the yahoo.com
    69.94.234.13 Bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=50
    69.94.234.13 Bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=51
    Ping statistics sent 4 received 4 lost 0

Thanks!
    Susan

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Before you start crawling again how about posting the brand and model of your modem and of your router? Sometimes "modems" turn out to be modem/router combos and that, in some cases, can cause the above procedure to not quite work.

Another thing that might help is to post an ipconfig /all now, while you are still connected directly to the modem.

13. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

It is a Netgear Wireless G Router WGR 614 (latest version)

IPCONFIG /ALL Test Results -

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\susan>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D8KDZ221
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myhome.westell.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-BB-A0-09
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.46
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 17, 2007 11:05:43 A
    M
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:05:43
    AM

C:\Documents and Settings\susan>

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If that is with the PC connected directly to your modem, your modem IS a modem/router combo and its LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1.

The Netgear WGR614 (at least my v5) has the same default LAN address.

That duplication of address is almost definitely what caused your previous efforts to fail.

After resetting the router to factory defaults I suggest that you connect your PC to one of its LAN ports (w/o connecting it to the modem), login to it, find the LAN section, and change the address to 192.168.2.1. While there check the Dhcp server address range and make sure that it changes to 192.168.2.something.

Then continue with JohnWill's bullet items.

There should be a User Manual on the CD that came with your router.

15. cycler

cycler Thread Starter

After resetting the router to factory defaults I suggest that you connect your PC to one of its LAN ports (w/o connecting it to the modem), login to it, find the LAN section, and change the address to 192.168.2.1. While there check the Dhcp server address range and make sure that it changes to 192.168.2.something.

How do I do that? Sorry - while I am ok about installing new hardware from a CD and connecting cables, I am really nervous about changing settings and entering new information - I never know where it's supposed to be entered.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/662366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice