Connecting without crossover? HELP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

serash

I have one tower-PC, and one laptop. Both have ethernet/USB etc. I don't have a router, but I have a cable modem; the cable modem allows you to connect using either ethernet or USB.

Both are Windows XP, SP2.

I have an extra standard ethernet wire. It's not a crossover cable.

Since my PC is hooked up to the cable modem.. and I need to transfer files from one computer to another quickly, can I use the regular ethernet wire to hook up my PC to my laptop so I can click and drag stuff over?

I don't necessarily want to connect the laptop to the internet, just want to be able to share files between the two. Each, the PC and Laptop, have only one ethernet connection. =/

Does anyone know of another way, if this doesn't work?

Thanks,
Serash

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yes, get a crossover cable. :)

Actually, I'd spring for a broadband router, since that would allow you to share files and both connect to the Internet. I saw one just a few days ago on one of these bargain sites for $7.99 after rebate.

More Stuff 4 Less

TechBargains

lxj

yeah... get crossower cable and make sure both comps are in thge same workgrup and got the same subnet mask. Enable sharing...
Easy as that :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online