Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connection / CD Drive issues

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hello.
My dad has an old Vista computer that he would like to use in his garage for internet searches. We booted it up for the first time in years and cannot get it to connect to the internet. We can connect to the network but not to the internet. Other devices work on this network and this computer won't connect to other networks either.

I have tried ipconfig release and renew which has not worked.

I was about to do a clean install of Vista, but get this, there is no CD Rom listed in My Computer nor is there a CD Drive category under Device Manager. (not even a category!) The light to the drive is solid green and when I push the button to open it I get nothing.

If you all can help me get the CD Rom drive to work again, I will just do the clean install. If you can't help I may run over the computer with my car and see if that helps. :)

#2 ·
1. welcome to tech support guy
If you can't help I may run over the computer with my car and see if that helps.
I do not think that will solve the problem although clearly the problem will no longer exist
3. re the CD drive - in the small hole on the drawer front insert the release pint or the end of a per clip if you do not have the release pin and ensure there is not a disc still in the tray
4. make and full model of computer
5. Take it into the house and connect by Ethernet cable see if you can then connect to internet
6. which browser are you using.
7. you say for the first time in years
which edition and service pack for vista
windows button, right click computer on start menu, click properties
or control panel and system

#5 ·
#6 ·
My dad has an old Vista computer that he would like to use in his garage for internet searches. We booted it up for the first time in years and cannot get it to connect to the internet.
Model: HP Presario F755US
Vista SP2
Plugged it into the router directly, still no connection.
Your father appears to have a 7 - 8 years old Compaq Presario F755US Notebook PC which originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
Is that correct?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
go control panel
network and sharing centre
follow this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/enable-disable-network-adapter#1TC=windows-vista

what adapters are shown please
if none
go control panel again and device manager
expand entry network adapters
what is shown and any warnings by way of red or yellow
right click device with warning and see what is shown
see screenshots for general assistance
View attachment 247931

View attachment 247932
Adapter: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.
Device Manager: nothing w/ warnings. see screenshot. As you can see, there is not section for CD Rom.

Attachments

#9 ·
When you reply please type your reply in the box that appears when you open the topic please do not click reply on my post
As you can see that automatically quotes back to us whatever we have said
Thanks

lets see first how we get on with the connection
To reset Internet Explorer settings manually

1. Close any Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
  2. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
  3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
  6. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, click OK, and then click OK again.
  7. Close Internet Explorer.

Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

#11 ·
#13 ·
go command prompt
type
ipconfig /all
on cmd window
right click top bar click edit
select all
right click again
click edit
click copy
save it to notepad or other doc
drag and drop to flash pen
attach to reply please

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.