1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Drops out Randomly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jrptashaptn, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jrptashaptn

Jrptashaptn Thread Starter

As it says in the title, my connection will randomly drop out with no warning..

I'm using a Westell Model 6100 modem, with verizon DSL, and from there it goes into a Lynksis Wireless G Broadband router, though Im not using the wireless, I just split into the two computers using ethernet from the router. This has been happening for a long time, where the Internet and DSL lights on the modem will go dark, and eventually come back on. The network connections window on XP still says Im connected, but I cannot visit web pages, or connect to online games. I'm not sure what causes it, but it just randomly drops out, some days its worse than other's, where it will drop out, come back, and instantly drop again, and others, maybe once, and thats all. My first thought was perhaps the phones interfering, but Ive got filter's on all the phones.. any thoughts?

2. Squirrelz

Squirrelz

Have you tried power cycling the DSL modem? Thats always I good place to start.
    I would suggest contacting your ISP for assistance if you have not already. They should be able to run a series of tests from the CO to determine is there is an issue with the line or the DSL hardware. Since the service interruption is intermittent they may not see anything at first, and all will look fine. But if you can get an established case with them they will hopefully dispatch a tech or send you replacement equipment.
    From my experience with DSL, there are so many things that could cause this issue and its hard to narrow it down.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This sounds like an issue with the modem, the interior wiring, or the ISP.

Connect directly to the modem and run the following test, let's see where that takes us.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

4. Jrptashaptn

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There's really not much difference in the west pass and east failure. You had 2% loss in the final hop from your ISP to your computer in the "pass" and 4% loss at the same place in the "fail."

It confirms JohnWill's "This sounds like an issue with the modem, the interior wiring, or the ISP." Running the tests 2 or 3 more times would be good; see if the same type of thing repeats.

If it's an ISP problem it's between their central office and you.

Make sure you know how warm the modem feels in normal operation. When you have the outage see if the modem is hotter. If it is not warmer nothing has been proved, but if it is noticeably warmer it should be replaced.

Test your interior wiring by eliminating as much as possible. The ideal test is to connect your modem outside at the Network Interface Unit, eliminating all interior wiring.

By the way, I can't really read those DSLReports, but some things are fairly obvious. :)

6. JohnWill

Any losses on that test are a sign of trouble. Whenever I've had anything show up there, it's always been when my connection sucks! :)

7. Jrptashaptn

Getting a new ISP.. they are re-wiring so hopefully that solves the problem

8. JohnWill

Thanks for the feedback, let us know how it works out. :)

9. Jrptashaptn

Yep.. all good. Problem's solved with new modem and cable.

10. JohnWill

Glad to hear it. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice