1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection "Flickering" while gaming.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dethred, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I just swapped my phoneline adapter for a Wireless B access point and Wireless B PCI nic. It still goes from a linksys cable modem to the phoneline router onward to the Wireless B access point.

I am no more than 25 feet and 2 walls away from the access point but the connection tool gives me an "excellent" rating for connectivity. My internet speed test is regularly above 3.0mb/s and during normal internet functions this wireless card flies compared to the broadband phoneline NIC (got 1.5-1.7mb/s).

The only problem is when I am playing online games like Battlefield 2 the connection drops for about 1-2 seconds at least 3-4 times a minute and sometimes as many as 10. Everything else I do on the internet is 100% better than before and there are no such "drops" or "flickers" browsing webpages and downloading files.

Can someone give me a checklist or help troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Does it say it drops?

3. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

Yes, BF2 gives the connection problem message just long enough to read it, then it goes back to normal for a few seconds.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The reason I asked is that when I played FFXI online I would lose connection to the server for a second or two. I was thinking that was happening to you, but if Windows is telling you that you are losing the connection.. can you get the machine to be wired into the router? That way you can test to see if the wired connection would yield the same thing.

5. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

well this happened only once I switched from a hardwire (phoneline) to the wireless. phonline was just half as fast and in normal internet browsing would stop loading webpages... but BF2 always was connected without interruption.

6. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

7. silvershield

silvershield

When you say "phoneline" does that mean dialup? or ethernet?

8. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

Broadband phoneline networking. Router sends signal into home phoneline socket and computers with the phoneline NIC can get Broadband access from any phoneline socket in the house.

For the wireless purposes its serving as a normal router for the access point. I have heard that Linksys wireless devices are pretty flaky, could this be the cause? Is there any way I can diagnose things and narrow the problem down to a device? I noticed last night that when I am pounding the connection the signal begins to deteriorate, which would explain why it would disconnect in an internet intense game like BF2

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice