1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection (internet) freeze

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gaz2002, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gaz2002

Gaz2002 Thread Starter

Hi people,
    Ok my problem is fairly regular occurances of my internet connection freezing out. In this i mean say when i browse the web or play most inline games my connection is stable and fine. However when i use programs such as morpheus, or use gamespy in particular (to play online counter-strike) i tend to get problems. When using morpheus like i leave my comp for a while to download files, i will return about an hour later to see the connection has become, well blocked if you like as the system doesnt seen to have crashed as you can acces and close programs. (I have turned off screen saver and the power management is set to always on).
    The other experience i have (people who play counter-strike might know) is when i use gamespy to play on game servers, often on connecting to servers it seems to never be able to join the game. This problem is not version of the game related just the connection as a reboot will always redeem the problem.This happens too frequent and i am getting cheesed off! ok before you answer this question here is my specifications.

1Ghz Athlon processor
    Epox 8kTA3 motherboard
    512mb RAM (133)
    nVidia Geforce 2mx
    windows 98 (fully updated)
    Cable modem on ntl broadband connection (usb connected)

Another point is having to restart my computer always fixes this problem, when i shut down the computer occasionally it will crash on the "windows is now shutting down" screen so i have to press the reset button on my tower.
    On start up i only have explorer and systray running, and this problem will usually only happen when i do the 2 described situations.
    Your help appreciated.

Gaz

2. Gaz2002

Gaz2002 Thread Starter

Guys...any ideas??????

3. Gaz2002

Gaz2002 Thread Starter

Someone please give me an oppinion, no answers arrrgh! :-(

4. musicmanone

musicmanone

I got a couple of questions. Are you using Internet Explorer or Netscape? Also, have you emptied your Temporary Internet files?
    If you are using Internet Explorer, you can click Tools, Internet Options, and delete the temporary internet files. Don't know if it will help, but I look for the simple first. I'll keep an eye on this one to see what happens.
    You might also want to check your security also in the Internet Explorer, by going to Tools, Internet Options, then Security tab.
    Another thing you could do is to go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup.
    Check the boxes for the Temporary files and also Temporary Internet files.
    You can have Internet Explorer delete the temporary internet files also, by going to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, then scroll down to Security and check the box where it says "Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed."

5. Carobbean

Carobbean

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem with freeze up's when trying to shut down, I would say 9 times out of 10 it starts to shut down and then just stops, and I have to power off, then when I power back up, go thru the whole rigamarole of having shut down incorrectly going thru scandisk and resetting desktop etc..I have WINME.and am using Internet Explorer.I have added Ad-aware, run Defrag, run LiveUpdate virus checked and now am going to try all of Musicmans suggestions...I'm going crazy with this!!!!!! Any other suggestions?? Oh yeah, I also got told to run Windows update which may fix some problems with ME which I am doing as we speak!
    Will keep you posted if any of this works, but other suggestions gratefully accepted!!
    Caro

6. beach51

beach51

Hi Carobbean,lets have a look at your startup programs,Go to Start>Run>type in msinfo32>click ok>click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>click on edit>select all>click edit>copy,and paste the page back here.

7. Carobbean

Carobbean

Ok, here goes ( hope I did this right!)

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Adaware Bootup c:\program files\lavasoft ad-aware\ad-aware.exe /auto /log "c:\program files\lavasoft ad-aware\" .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AlogServEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\alogserv.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AMD-SIR c:\ati\gart\amd-sir.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Ati2cwxx ati2cwxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ATIPOLAB ati2evxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AtiPTA atiptaxx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AvconsoleEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\avconsol.exe /minimize All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    BaySwap c:\program files\phoenix technologies\bayswap\bayswap.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    BaySwap2 c:\program files\phoenix technologies\bayswap\tbupdate.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CPQEASYACC c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\cpqeadm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CPQInet c:\compaq\cpqinet\cpqinet.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    EACLEAN c:\program files\compaq\easy access button support\eaclean.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LoadQM loadqm.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    McAfeeWebScanX c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\webscanx.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    McAfeeWebScanX c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\webscanx.exe /runservices All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders c:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\workss~1\wkcalrem.exe .DEFAULT Startup
    MiniLog c:\windows\system\zonelabs\minilog.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    MSConfigReminder c:\windows\system\msconfig.exe /reminder All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSMSGS c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe /background .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Norton Auto-Protect c:\progra~1\norton~1\navapw32.exe /loadquiet All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    OEMCLEANUP c:\windows\options\oemreset.exe /o All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PRPCMonitor prpcui.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Service Connection c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SSDPSRV c:\windows\system\ssdpsrv.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SynTPEnh c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SynTPLpr c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntplpr.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TrueVector c:\windows\system\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    VsecomrEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vsecomr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Vshwin32EXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vshwin32.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Vshwin32EXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vshwin32.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    VsStatEXE c:\program files\mcafee\mcafee virusscan\vsstat.exe /showwarning All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    ZoneAlarm c:\progra~1\zonela~1\zoneal~1\zoneal~1.exe -nopopup All Users Common Startup

8. Rockn

Rockn

Gaz...your problem could be any number of things. Could be temp internet files like Beach suggested or any number of other things. Try shutting down all the stuff running in the background before you use morpheus or gamespy and see if that helps. Do an alt+ctrl+del and end task on everything but Explorer and systray. As for carrobbean...I am surprised yours runs at all with all the junk you have running in the background. Two AV programs.....what for??

Sorry Gazz for answering someone elses question in your thread.

9. Carobbean

Carobbean

Could you possibly be a little more precise other than just saying I have too much junk?? Thats why I'm here, I dont know what I should/should not have!!!! Thanks

10. Carobbean

Carobbean

Sorry all, guess I should have posted a new thread of my own instead of continuing on with this one, I'll get the hang of it eventually! Sorry Gazz.....

11. beach51

beach51

Hi Carobbean,Go to Start>Run>type in Msconfig>click ok>click the startup tab>remove the check marks next to everything except the following.

state mgr
    system tray
    scan registry
    pc health
    load power profile (2)
    zone alarm
    Norton or maafee (turn one off,you dont need two)

Click apply then ok and reboot the computer.remove one or two at a time.

Let us know if this helps.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice