Connection Issue on desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Iclipse

with one of the desktops in the house, i cannot get internet access, I have installed the necessary drivers and connection utility and I have made sure that the WEP key for the houses network is what I am using but it cannot connect. I am using a belkin N1 Desktop card and the router is a Belkin N1 router. I use Buffalo client manager to connect through to the internet usually but since formatting the pc, it does not want to connect. When going to connect using the Buffalo tool I get the error 'Failed - Can not find target'

Thanks in advance, Iclipse

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
  • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
  • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
  • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Iclipse

Ok i've followed those instructions and this is what I got:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jack>ping 206.190.60.37

Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Jack>ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jack>nbtstat -n

Wireless Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

C:\Documents and Settings\Jack>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jack-45579c985c
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin N1 Wireless Desktop Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-41-66-BC

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Virgin Broadband
Make and exact model of the broadband modem. Scientific Atlanta EPC2100R2 series
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit). Belkin N wireless router F5D8233-4v3
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless. Wireless
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2) WEP
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc. XP SP2
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc. N/A

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.
After formatting my desktop, i installed windows and then the necessary drivers for the internet, but i cannot connect to the network, regardless of the fact I am using the correct WEP key. Using the Buffalo client manager to connect i get the message 'Failed - Can not find target.'

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms? No
For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way? No
Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue? No
If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally? There are other computers that all work fine on the network.

TerryNet

Terry
Are you using a WEP HEX key, an ascii passcode, or one of those new-fangled PIN or push-button methods?

Can u able to connect to the network
What is the IP ur getting under WLAN

If u get an valid IP add like 192.168.2.X(Belkin DHCP range)
Try to ping 192.168.2.1-if u get 4 replies then try to ping 4.2.2.2

Iclipse

no i can't connect to it, i can detect the network but cannot connect like i said

TerryNet

Terry
For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way? No
Change that answer to a 'Yes' and you'll probably be able to connect. If successful, re-enable encryption and you should then be able to reconnect. If unsuccessful at connection, try to do so and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

In Ur case we can try to disabled the security in the router and check.

Connect Ur computer with a cable to LAN2.
Open an IE in the address bar type 192.168.2.1(no need to use http or www)

U will get Belkin router GUI.
In the left-hand side u should see an option SECURITY-select it to disabled then apply changes

Now check if u can connect.

Note: Please do these settings only from hardwired computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!