1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Chaos Llama, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chaos Llama

Chaos Llama Thread Starter

Lately I've been having trouble with my computer making any connections. Opening internet (in firefox) links often takes many tries, as the majority of the time the page simply does not attempt to load (if I force it to open a new tab/window it comes up as 'untitled'). Trying with internet explorer yields the same results. Once connections are made, it seems to work fine (downloads etc. work once they get started, which is hit and miss) but the problem has reached a point where it took me fifteen minutes to get the registration page for this forum to load correctly (with the anti-spam key) so that I could post this message. The problem even pops up when I try to connect to my router. Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wired or wireless connection to the router? Any difference when you connect directly to the modem?

3. Chaos Llama

wired. I can't try it straight through the modem right now, but I'm pretty sure the router isn't the issue (as none of the other computers in the house are having this problem).

4. Krash

Krash

If this is a laptop, try hooking it up to another LAN outlet that you use for one of your other computers.
    If it works fine, then there could be a bad cable connection.

Else we could be looking at Spyware , Firewalls , Antivirus blocking / scanning your traffic.

5. Chaos Llama

Hm. This is very perplexing. I switched the cables (not on a laptop, so I chose a different net cable), and it began to work great, so I thought it was working fine- but the problem came back. I switched the cables back to the original, and it worked again for a short amount of time before returning. While it was working, I ran some speed tests and my down speed was in excess of 10MB. My pings to servers on Steam are fluctuating wildly (on a server I usually ping 20 on, it ranged from the usual 20 to over 400, having huge spikes of latency). Restarting my computer seems to have the effect of unplugging and plugging back in the cable, in that it works for a short amount of time.

6. Krash

Krash

Try rebooting the computer in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING. Try the pings tests and visit only safe webpages. If it still does the same, I would try reinstalling network card in a different slot.

7. Chaos Llama

my computer became ironically unstable. In safe mode, I had to activate windows again, and in safe mode with networking, my computer crashed twice. I was able to look at the internet, but it wasn't conclusive because my computer crashed after a short amount of time. I'm starting to think I might have to do another reformat.

8. Krash

Krash

:O Ouch. Thats weird cuz the computer is supposed to be a lot more stable in SAFE MODE. But am starting to wonder once again, if the Network card you use is an addon card, may be you could try removing it and using the onboard lan port if available.

Its worth a try compared to reinstalling Windows if it fixes the issue.

9. Chaos Llama

I tried using the motherboard lan port, and for a few minutes I thought it had worked (100% internet connectivity) but just now the problem reared its ugly head once again.

10. Patchuflan

Patchuflan

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start a new topic (I searched for an existing problem that was similar to mine and it was unsolved, so I decided to post in it), but I have a very similar problem to Llama.

My problem is that browsing the internet is extremely erratic; a might might load completely, not at all, load partially, or only the text and not the images. For example, instead of seeing icons in this BBS such as Bold, Italic, Align Left, etc. I merely see text that says "Align Left." If I tried again at a later date, I might see all of the images, or the page might not load at all...

This problem occurs in both Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 6.

Okay, now here are some details -

During all of this, windows does not detect any problems with my network connection, I've tried using the "Repair" feature, and resetting tcp/ip, dns, and winsock.

I'm using wired motherboard ethernet to a router to a DSL modem. All of the other computers in the house (wireless and wired) are fine. I took twos laptops upstairs and plugged the ethernet cable into each of them and they both worked perfectly.

This problem only occurs in Windows XP, and not Ubuntu.

Instant Messaging, Gaming, BitTorrent all work fine. Downloads and uploads, once they are started, go at full speed.

I first became aware of this problem when a page wouldn't load. When it happened I had about 60 tabs open of the same site, and the entire site appeared to be offline. So I tried to do other things, but other sites were broken too. However, when I used a site uptime checker to check whether the sites were online, the uptime checkers said that they were online.

Relevant details -

Windows XP Professional SP2
    Firefox 2
    Internet Explorer 6
    Computer<-Router<-DSL Modem

Any help that I can get is greatly appreciated!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Patchuflan, I think that the rules, guidelines and FAQs are pretty clear--start a new Thread for help with your problem. It's also clear that we do not help with P2P programs, and since that's the most likely cause of your problem do not expect a whole lot of help here. Reset your router to factory defaults and reconfigure it and stop using P2P programs. If those actions don't solve this problem, please start a new Thread.

12. Patchuflan

Patchuflan

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice