Connection issues with a specific device/network combo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kadhea

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20211201124201.000000+000
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER
Hard Drives: C: 476 GB (449 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85), ver 1.0, s/n JB16082409
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hi folks.

I'm reasonably techy, so between myself and Google I can usually get most issues solved, but this one has me scratching my head.

I fired up the PC today and tried to play Final Fantasy 14, but couldn't connect to the server. I asked around if anyone else was having similar issues and it seemed to be just me. Then I noticed I wasn't able to connect to Steam chat, even though I could browse the store quite normally. I later discovered that certain other websites and services - for example the Nvidia website and the Microsoft Store - aren't working for me. Most sites, including this one, are working just fine.

But here's the weird part - they're only not working on this specific device (my PC) on this specific network (Hyperoptic 1Gb).

(1) I can access the sites using my phone on 4G data.
(2) I can access the sites using my phone on wifi.
(3) I can access the sites on my PC tethered to my 4G data.
(4) I can't access the sites on my PC over wifi.

Logic tells me it can't be a router issue because of (2) and because I've factory reset it several times now. It can't be a PC issue because of (3) and because I've formatted everything and reinstalled Windows in an attempt to fix this. It can't be an ISP issue with Hyperoptic because of (2).

I've tried everything I could think of and everything I could find on Google - DNS flushes, DNS changes, resets, changing the ethernet cable, changing the port it's connected to on my router, formatting my PC and reinstalling Windows, shouting, swearing - none of it has helped.

Something about the exact combination of this specific PC and this specific network has suddenly started giving me trouble after working perfectly for the last 8 months since I moved in.

If you have any recommendations, please share them. I am completely stumped. Thank you.

Couriant

James
You didn't mention if you have any network security software installed.

Kadhea

You didn't mention if you have any network security software installed.
Right you are, thank you.

I was using Malwarebytes Premium and the latest version of TinyWall. Since resetting my PC I'm currently only running Malwarebytes and Windows Firewall, but I've tried disabling both to no avail.

Couriant

James
OK, so from what you have mentioned the only logical cause is the wireless adapter. assuming that has not been configured (i.e. Static IP and or DNS servers) again.

Are you able to connect via Ethernet to your router or modem (if available)?

The only other test to confirm would be to use a USB wireless adapter (which are cheap enough can easily returnable, especially if it's from Amazon) and see if you get the same result on your router, which I assume it would be. At that point, if it works with a USB WiFi, then your original wireless adapter is defective.

Another check would be to do a ping test. Typically a failed card will show an error message like General Failure.

TerryNet

Terry
Maybe a hint will be buried in your answers to these questions.

Have you checked to make sure that the PC's wireless driver is the latest correct one, or just whatever Windows decided to install?

Using the 2.4 GHz or 5 Ghz band on your PC?

Using the 2.4 GHz or 5 Ghz band on your phone?

Does PC tethered to my 4G data mean connected to the phone by USB? Or maybe via Wi-Fi? If the latter, which band?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online