Solved Connection issues with laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Anne1975

Hello,
My son's laptop just suddenly had the following problem:
He can connect to WiFi, and open a google search page in Chrome or a Bing page in Edge. He does a search. All results are listed and then when he clicks on one of the links, he got a connection error message as if the WiFi was lost. This also happens when he enters the URL directly. Only search engines are working. All other sites are not working. I also noticed that his dropbox cannot sync. His Spotify app also cannot connect.

I have checked the WiFi setting and all is good. I have used another account on the same laptop and the same issue happens. All the other devices (laptops, phones, tablets) are good, no problem with lost connection.

Nothing has changed on his laptop, just the regular Windows updates.
He has a Lenovo, running Windows10. And we use McAfee total protection for firewall, and internet security.
I can't run the little diagnostic on his laptop.
I wanted to try with the ethernet cable if we get the same issue, but his laptop has no ethernet port (!)

I've attached screenshot in Chrome and in Edge.

The error message is the same: ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED

Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

Terry may have a good point. I had a similar problem with free version of McAfee years ago. Some update with it started causing problems. Try temporarily disabling McAfee and open a browser, do exactly what you did before. If everything opens up with no issues, it is time to call McAfee tech support.

Anne1975

Hello!
Thank you for your advice.
The problem has been solved.
Our WiFi is provided by a mesh system from Linksys. There's an app that goes with it. Some months ago, I've set up parental controls for my son's laptop. And I forgot about it.
Yesterday, I wanted to remove this parental control and realised the Linksys app was triggering loads of errors. I still managed to disable all parental controls.
And now, the laptop is back to normal.
That was indeed an extra layer of control that was stopping internet from working properly.

Is the boy over 18 now? Just kidding. Glad you figured it out and shared it here. He is happy now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online