1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection issues with Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by delta24, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. delta24

delta24 Thread Starter

I have DSL through SBC Ameritech and networked to 3 computers using the Linksys BEFS41 Router. I also play Everquest frequently. I hold a connection for about 3 hours (it varies) and then disconnect for about 30 seconds. Everquest is very port-intesive and i have port-triggering set to 1024-9999.
    my other settings are as follows:
    Login: PPPoE
    Advanced > Filters:
    SPI - disabled
    block wan requests - enabled
    multicass pass - enable
    IPSec pass - enable
    PPTP pass - enable
    all else is disabled

Also, aside from minor router tweaking my network card is very old. A friend from college gave it to me in 1996. He said if i didn't want it he was going to throw it away. There is a good chance it was already a few years old by then. How possible is this card contributing to the disconnects? I run a Asus A7V motherboard with a 800mhz Athalon processor.

2. Subnet Mask

Subnet Mask

Are you saying that your PPPoE connection disconnects?

3. delta24

delta24 Thread Starter

yeah i'm logging on with pppoe and i'm having random disconnects about every 3-4 hours

4. Subnet Mask

Subnet Mask

It's unlikely to be your PC then, because the router is maintaining the PPPoE session with your ISP. It could be the router or more likely, the ISP causing disconnects of the PPPoE session.

To find out which, you would need to bypass the router and connect one PC directly to the DSL modem for at least 3-4 hours. For that test you would need to establish the PPPoE session from the PC rather than the router.

5. delta24

delta24 Thread Starter

would disableing the login option on the router and intsatlling the connection software on one of the computers on the network work? Just as a way to bypass the login feature in the router software and use the software that Ameritech provides?

6. Subnet Mask

Subnet Mask

I don't understand why you would want to do that as opposed to bypassing the router.

7. porkradish

porkradish

most likely sbc is renewing the dhcp address every 3 - 4 hours.

only way to fix problem that i have found is to pay for static ip from the provider

8. Subnet Mask

Subnet Mask

porkradish: 3 to 4 hours seems awfully short for a DHCP lease.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/101866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice