1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DrakeBS, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrakeBS

DrakeBS Thread Starter

I hve a New eMachines T5206 running on Windows Xp Pro. 512 ram, 3.06 Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading. I put a Linksys wireless PCI Adapter Carrd Model WMP54G card into the back slot of my pc, and connected it to my Dlink wireless broadband router. It connected fine, but after 4 to 5 minutes, it disconnected. then reconnected. it was connected at 54mbps and cnnectes to that afterwards. Ive contacted both linksys and Dlink support, as well as circuit city. nd none of them can spot the problem. its not compatiblity issues because it is supposed to work fine, The networks set up correctly. the router has been set up correclty. no security or firewalls blocking the connection, yet still it disconnects. any ideas?

i can give any more info that might be needed.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are there any power settings applied to the network card.

3. DrakeBS

DrakeBS Thread Starter

Not that i know of, is there a way i can tweak that or check?>

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just go into the device manager. Under your specific network card, click on the Power Management tab. It's not all that common but it can happen.

Also, since it is a wireless card, is there any difference if you move closer to the router.

5. DrakeBS

DrakeBS Thread Starter

its only about 20 feet from the router, tops the outers in the next room.

and i checked and its on Cam constantly awake mode, and thats the one it should be on because the other 2 are power saving modes.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you swap with any of the other computer's network cards to see if that's where the problem is.

7. DrakeBS

DrakeBS Thread Starter

no other computers have a network card like this. i went today and replaced the card after having the same problem, it still isnt fixed. i have 3 other laptops, but all have built in wireless cards, and then i have this desktop (one with the problems,) my HP (thats ethernet hardwired) and then i have another computer, but its ethernet hardwired too. so...... cant replace the card.

8. DrakeBS

DrakeBS Thread Starter

does anyone have another suggestion?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice